Base and Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johno757

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First off this is my first post. I am new to marine but not to aquariums. I have had freshwater for a few years and am planing to move to salt very shortly. I will be setting up a 46 gal FOWLR and i am just trying to iron out the details. I know i should strive for 1.5 - 2 lbs of live rock for the tank, but to start i would like to use both base and live rock to lower the initial setup cost. What mix should i aim for, and how long will it take to mature? Thanks

Welcome to Aquariumadvice!
The ratio of LR to base rock is mostly up to you. Having more LR initially will aid in the bio-diversity of the tank. I would use 30%, or more, LR to seed the base. Base rock becomes "live" fairly quickly. In a few months time you probably will not notice a difference between the two.

like said above, its pretty much up to you. If you want to go with more base than live, it will be cheaper but just take a bit longer. Eventually (within a few months) its all the same anyways, so it really wont matter in the end as long as you take everything slowly (which you should do anyways)

WELCOME TO AA!!

Please do not cycle with live animals.

The above is good advice. I have 150Lbs of base in my 125 and only about 15Lbs of cured LR, but I will add more, as I see nice pieces come in.

Does it matter where in the tank the LR put in regards to the base rock? Should the live rock be set on top of the base rock, vice versa, or mixed?

I don't think it really matters. I try and mix it to make it that much easier for coralline etc, to over take the base rock.

Thanks for the help, i will have many more questions, im sure of it.

Back
Top Bottom