Base rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adam1103

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a fairly new setup. It's been going now for roughly 5 months and every thing seems to be going well. Or are they?.. I went with the mix rock when I did my setup, 30 pounds base limestone and 30 pounds of live rock. While the live rock looks amazing the base was not so great. Not very porous at all. After 5 months the base has become alot better looking in terms of looks but to my untrained eye it seems like nothing is spreading from my live rock to base rock. Everyone that I ask about this says that as long as my water parameters are good that I shouldn't worry and it may take years for it to look like it's live. Although I do have a lot of small dark brown spots growing on every thing, guess I should be happy with that at least! Lol!

you are confusing "live" with covered with algae. live rock is rock that is covered with bacteria. you would not be able to tell the difference between live and dead rock with the naked eye. if you simply want coralline algae to cover the limestone, you can scrape some of the coralline off of your rock with a knife or screwdriver and let it blow around the tank. that usually helps it spread faster. that and keeping calcium and alk levels stable.

What I'm trying to say is my "live" rock is a dark grey green with some Coraline growth on it while the base rock is more of a peal white. What I'm trying to find out is will this base rock(the white) eventually turn to look like the "live" rock. That is in the tank. The place where I bought the rock said that it would quickly spread to the base. I'm not really trying to get the Coraline to grow.
I'll try to attach some pictures to try and clear up my question.

Attachments

• image-1694880516.jpg
    image-1694880516.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 74
  • image-651897244.jpg
    image-651897244.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 80
Eventually they will look the same, it may take some time though.

Back
Top Bottom