Bashful Scallop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a flame scallop that seems to be doing rather well despite the fact that I don't target feed him. However, it seems to find its way to the back of my rocks each night. It is almost impossible to see it there. I have removed it a few times (it attaches itself) and brought it up forward and placed it between some rocks where it can be seen and enjoyed. All goes well for the day but in the morning it is in the back again. I gotta tell you - it isn't easy for that bugger to even find the back with all of the lr thats in my tank but it does.

Anything that I can do about this?

As I understand, scallops feel secure only underneath, behind and below things. In the front it feels insecure and tries to find shelter. I'd say let the critter stay in the back for the time being. Maybe you'll be able to move it forward in the future.

I've read that flame scallops are very difficult to keep and they frequently die in tanks. It's trying to survive the best it knows how. Let him stay in back. I hope he survives for you.

My 2 cents.

I wouldn't mess with it either. Just let it do its thing. Most things that can move on their own, I'd leave alone unless it in serious danger. Like an anemone getting too close to a PH.

My tank water is really moving with an oversized wet/dry, large HOB and two PH. I suspect that the scallop may be moving to an area with lower water movement.

Maybe that's the key???

I have one that is reclusive also. My lfs regulary has them for about $10. In his book A Pocket Guide to Marine Invertebrates, Dr. Ronald Shimek says they seek out dim areas under rocks or in caves. And need lots of phytoplankton. He also lists them as good aquarium animals

Maybe I'll try a more secluded area which is still viewable from the front of the tank. That is if I can get him out from behind the rocks without dismantling the whole aquascape.

Back
Top Bottom