BCOD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nsu7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone know what "BCOD" stands for in the below FAQ on http://www.hdltd.com/technical/t_faqs.html

Q: I like to use Tri Base Carbon and RightNow product to lower nitrate, but my setup is the following: 55 Gallon saltwater fish only established tank with high nitrates. Filters are Aquaclear 500, Rainbow Lifeguard Fluidized bed filter and RedSea Prizm protein filter. Sugar-size sand. I don't want to purchase canister filter to setup carbon chamber, can I still use your products?
- Steve (Feb/01/2001)

A: Thank you for your inquiry. I will answer your question in a way you will not expect. One way to lower your Nitrates is to lower you BCOD. This is by far one of the most important things in the hobby that people overlook. The BCOD are the compounds that are stored in your sand, under your rocks, dirt in your filter and pores in your rock

The first thing I would suggest is:
1. Do a water change of up to 50 percent. When you are doing the water change, BE SURE to vacunm your Gravel, UNDER your rocks and clean your filter. (Do NOT destroy your biological bed in your filter by cleaning it TOO clean.)

2. When you do your water change and clean your gravel, NEVER use the water in your tank to recirculate. This will raise your BCOD in the water, which you do not want.

Back
Top Bottom