beginner corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltcreep1025

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my tank is finally getting to the point where i think i can attempt some of the easier corals. its a 35 gallon tank with Live sand and live rock.

would 2 55 watt pc lights be enough for some corals? if so what kind and what are some of the hardier corals i could get with that amount of light.

thank you very much
Ross

Well I'm far from being an expert, but you could go mushrooms which are very hardy and toadstool leathers are pretty hardy too. I usually look at www.liveaquaria.com because they have good descriptions of what the corals need lighting and their diet. :)

Mushrooms are a good choice. Zoanthids should do well in there...I'd keep them close to the light though. A colt coral is a sure hit...they rapidly turn into a weed in any but the most inhospitable environments. Green star poylps should do well also. For the most part, as long as you stick with the more common soft corals, and keep water quality up, you should be successful. Most any of the corals sold under the name of "finger leather" should also do well. Don't be suprised if it takes them a day or two to open up though.

Bubble Corals are easy but they are aggressive so keep space between them and other corals.

I agree with bubbles and mushrooms. But make sure you water is PERFECT!!! I have lost so much marine life so far. Please - make sure you tank is totally stable and your water is perfect.

If you get them too soon cuz you want something pretty in the tank, and you're not ready, it will be dead within a week.

Good luck,
Todd

Back
Top Bottom