Beginner needing advise re feather duster vs. hermit crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nemo-rox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! first time on this forum so my appologize if my answers can be found elsewhere.

My first saltwater tank is now 8 weeks old and I have added up to now 15 pds of LR 1 feather duster and 10 hermit crabs and 1 sea urchin. Oh, yes I have also added a 6line wrasse a few days ago... Now for my question, I have noticed that the parchment like tuke of my feather duster is being destroyed by the hermit crabs, leaving only a mucus like tube.
Can this kill the feather duster?
Also, I will be adding another 5 pds of LR today, but just wondering if 20pds in a 25 gallon aquarium is sufficient?
Any advise would be great.

Proper amount of LR is 1.5 - 2 lbs per gallon. Yes it does sound like the hermits are destroying the tube. Have you gone through your cycle yet?

From what I was told yes the cycle was done. What helped is that a friend of mine had given me some water from his tank + i added 5 pounds of uncured at start-up. What can I do to stop the hermits from detroying the tube? I cannot move the feather duster as it is stuck to the LR now...

What can I do to stop the hermits from detroying the tube?
Remove the hermits. Personally I don't use them. They are more trouble than they are worth.
Is it possible the duster is dying and the crabs are just cleaning up?

What do you use as cleaning crew? The duster does not seem like it is dying. The feathers are quite beautiful and not damaged in any way. Is there something else I should be looking at that would indicate that the duster is dying?

I like cerith and nsaai snails, you might look at a fighting conch as well. I am also not a big fan of hermits, but do have 4 in my 55G.
nemo-rox said:
What helped is that a friend of mine had given me some water from his tank
Water doesn't contain and real amount of nytrifying bacteria, to seed a tank. That bacteria gorws in/on rock/sand/filter media.
How did you cycle your tank and what are you water parameters?

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Ask away, we love lots of questions and pics!

I use Hermits,snails. narsisrus snails,Shrimp,Spiney Lobster and crab. I also have two starfish that do a good job.

Sorry It took so long...computer problems!

I cycled my tank with cured LR and waited 5 wks before adding anything. My parameters are:

salt level: 1.025
PH: 8.4
Nitrite:between 0.0 and 0.3
Nitrate:10
Phospate: 0.5
calcium: 450
Amonia: 0

Here's a picture of my tank as it is now...Saltwater is such a dream of mine and I am trying to do everything the right way, but help around home is very limited...

Attachments

• img_0005_126.jpg
    img_0005_126.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 33
Looks like your cycle is near it's end. By those number, the nitrItes might be causing your critters some stress. I would work on some PWCs to bring it down.

Back
Top Bottom