beginner setup questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crage34

Aquarium Advice Freak
im a newbie and have been researching saltwater aquariums for awhile now... and am planing on buying my set up this week...i plan on going with a fish only with live rock set up....im gonna start with a 29 gallon tank.... i was wondering how much live rock that is recommended....i know most say 1-2lbs for every gal but i was wondering if i could us alil less so i would have more room in my tank but want enough for my fish to hide in....also i was wanted to ask about how long it would take for me to cycle my tank with the rock and sand in it....i know im gonna need a light and was thinking about using a penguin biowheel to filter....is ther any other equipment u recommend me buying...and how big of a heater should i get for this tank... i want to get started on my cycleing sooon so any advice is great....(im completely new)

If you want to use LR as your primary bio filter you should have at least 1lb per gallon. You will not need the biowheel as it will become a nitrate factory later on. I have a 46g and I went with 1lb per gallon of Fiji rock as it supposed to be more porous than Keys Rock (some folks may disagree). If you go with a fine sugar-sized argonite sand that will also become your filter so you should be able to get by with less rock if you keep a lite bio load. Definitely get yourself a good skimmer. I use a CPR Bakpak and it pulls gunk daily. You will also need good water circulation so go with 2 Maxijet 600 ph's and a 100w submersible heater. I cycled my rock in 3 weeks. HTH

If you want to use LR as your primary bio filter you should have at least 1lb per gallon. You will not need the biowheel as it will become a nitrate factory later on. I have a 46g and I went with 1lb per gallon of Fiji rock as it supposed to be more porous than Keys Rock (some folks may disagree). If you go with a fine sugar-sized argonite sand that will also become your filter so you should be able to get by with less rock if you keep a lite bio load. Definitely get yourself a good skimmer. I use a CPR Bakpak and it pulls gunk daily. You will also need good water circulation so go with 2 Maxijet 600 ph's and a 100w submersible heater. I cycled my rock in 3 weeks. HTH

how do u point your power heads? toward the middle? away from eachother? thanks alot for the advice...that really helps...im goin to get my setup this weekend.....also..i can just put everything in my tank and cycle it all at once right?(sand, rock with equipment running) also will i need to do any water changes during cycling?

It depends on what you have in your tank. If your LR is just corraline covered rock, then water changes won't really be required. But if you have lots of things living in/on your rock that you don't want to die, changing would be a good idea. And yes, you can get all your equipment installed and running before you start your cycle. You want your powerheads arranged so there are very few or no "dead spots" in your water, lots of circulation everywhere.

put the ph in the corners and try to cross the streams for a turbulent flow. and point them slightly up to ripple the water, Helps with O2 exchange.
Water changes durring a cycle and prolong the cycle time. BUT if your lr comes with a lot of hitchikers, it is well worth it. I would also leave the bio wheel in until the cycle is complete, then remove it.

also if u buy some cured live rock and some uncured will this speed my cycling process?

It might cycle faster but the rock still needs to cure. I would not rush the process. I have my ph's in the upper left and right corners pointing toward the middle. You want good circulation throughout the tank.

ok, thanks....im glad i asked, also i just wanted to clarify....once the tank has cycled and all the levels are correct does this mean that the rock is cured?

Yes, once ammonia and nitrites are zero you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom