Best chiller for a 17 gallon reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chalowolf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The smallest chiller i have seen is a 1/10 hp. I have also heard of the Teclima micro chiller and the Azoo thermalelectric . Does anyone have experience with these chillers? Just trying to get ready for the hot summer days. :roll: [/b]

Hm, Do you have AC in your house/appartment? If you dont then one thing to know is that a chiller is basicly a small AC unit for your tank and just like other AC units they expell heat outward. The net result is unless you duct this heat outside it warms up the room the tank is in. Net result is a warmer than should be room.

There are many ways to keep the temperature down with out the use of a chiller. You could install fans above the tank blowing over the surface of the water. This will increase your evaportaion rate but at the same time cooling your tank.

The smallest chiller I know of is the ICE PROBE from CoolWorks

That device should be mounted via a hole in the tank or in your sump. Also there is a temperature controller unit that is needed. Total cost from Petwarehouse.com is $150.00

Big tanks don't heat up and cool down as quickly as Little ones, so a 17 gallon tank will heat up rather quickly, but also cool down just as quick. I would use the fan meathod first.

I just hope i can cool my tank when im away and the room gets up into the 96's. I have a 5 gal freshwater and it got up to 92 one day. Nothing in the tank died, i opened all the window and put a fan blowing on it. The temp came down pretty fast. I just dont want to worry with my nano reef. Im considering just running the AC on hot days or maybe getting a 1/10HP chiller. I dont think it will put out more heat than my fridge. Who knows still thinking about it.

If your tank does get high its important to bring the temps down slowly vs quickly.

Running a fan all the time will help keep the tank cooler reguarless of outside temps.

I installed two computer fans in my canopy , one blowing in and the other out. It cooled the tank 3 degs. It helped some . I am going to try running the AC to try and stabalize the room temp a little and see how the tank does. :idea:

I purchased a Aqua Medic Titan 150 Thermal elect chiller. I set it for 75 deg. , and it is holding at about 76 durring the day and 75 at night. It does put some heat into the room, but nothing major. I still have to see how it does on a really hot day.

On hot days it is going to about 82 . I have to run the AC in the room to make it come down to 80. The colder the room the better it works. I should have gone with a 1/10 hp regular freeon chiller, for $100 bucks more. :x

Back
Top Bottom