Best Dry Rock for new 40g reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brian0515

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know this had been beaten like a dead horse I'm sure but I've decided to go w/ all Dry Rock...what is the very best? I'm looking at Marcorock & Fiji from BRS. Any suggestions and is. 50# enough for a 40 gallon tank?
Thank You!

:deadhorse:

At my LFS, they sell Marco rocks and another brandless base rock. They sell the marco rocks not a lot cheaper than live rocks (5 bucks a pound while they sell live rock for 6-8 bucks). Those rocks are beautiful. They make nice caverns. Lots of holes in it. Perfect to fit coral plugs. The brandless ones (1.75$/pound) are white too, are featureless on the out side, but when you break it, it's like honeycomb on the inside. I bought a few marcos, and lots of this brandless rocks. I'd have bought only live rock and a few marcos for the look if they didn't have those for the difference of price. I found cheaper base rock on the web, but shipping costs are ridiculous due to the weight. Use the rock you want. The bigger, lighter (porous) the better.

I'd buy 20-25 pounds of live rock, and 30-35 pound of base rock.

I got my dry rock from Macrorocks online. It's very nice looking rock and I have no complaints about the price either.

I'll order from them again when/if the time comes and I need more one day.

Great info guys

Thank you all so much for the info and websites. I've been leaning towards going w the Marcorock and this pretty much solidified it, especially with it being 109.00 for 50# right now.

Yes i am getting 40# of sand too.. i was told buy a few people that their sand is amazing

Great! Also what is the order of operations for setting up the tank....

1) water and salinity...
2) add sand after water and salinity
3) add live rock when sand is settled
4) at fish after cycling

?????

Is that good way to go? Also how do you add the sand when water is already in?

Great! Also what is the order of operations for setting up the tank....

1) water and salinity...
2) add sand after water and salinity
3) add live rock when sand is settled
4) at fish after cycling

?????

Is that good way to go? Also how do you add the sand when water is already in?

It'd be best to add rock before sand. If rock is on sand it could shift (or get shifted depending on tanks inhabitants) leading to problems.

If you're just starting out with dry sand/rock and it wouldn't need to be/stay wet I'd add water last.

If you're able to add water last you can place something like a saucer or similar on the sandbed and pour the water (or pump) on that saucer, keeping the sand from kicking up.

It was not fun adding sand once my water was in, for me anyway. Ill do it differently next time.

I ask only for acclimating reasons.... If you get the water set with salinity and then ph then live rock would be safe to add.... But if you put in live rock and sand first then try to get the water correct will that kill off anything on the rock?

I ask only for acclimating reasons.... If you get the water set with salinity and then ph then live rock would be safe to add.... But if you put in live rock and sand first then try to get the water correct will that kill off anything on the rock?

Do you have a separate container (trash can, tote, etc) that you would be using for water changes perhaps? You could have water ready in terms of temp and salinity that way before adding it into the tank.

I mean you can have water in tank first I just think it was more difficult that way, for me anyway.

I have ordered 50lbs or rocks from both marcos and reefrocks.net. Both have very nice rock that make scaping a breeze. I went with reefrocks first on my 75 mainly due to price but I also wanted their sand. Like I said the sand and rock is great but be warned it takes on average a month to get your items from reefrock. So when I needed rock for a 30 gallon and some more for my 75 I went with marcos. I ordered on Wednesday it shipped out that day and was at my door Friday. Reefrock has nice rock but for a little extra Marcos will save a headache.

Back
Top Bottom