Best non-aggressive fish to put in a new saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a big question....LOL

+1 on the royal gramma, just be certain you get a gramma and not a bi-color dottyback. They have very similar body shape and coloring, but the bi-color has a definite line separating the colors and on a gramma the colors blend into one another.
Bi-color dottybacks are VERY aggressive, so you don't want to make that mistake...LOL

A blennie would work as long as you keep in mind it's mature size and get one suited to your tank.
A dwarf angel could work, but as mentioned your tank may be too small and could elicit territorial aggression from the angel. But I suggest you wait on attempting one until your tank is at least 6 months along stable.
What are the actual dimensions of the tank because that could also be a determining factor. A long rectangular tank opens more possibilities than say a cube or hexagon.

Stay clear of tangs until your tank is very, very well established and stable.

May I suggest taking a peek here if you haven't already;
Beginner Fish: Tropical Fish for Beginners in Saltwater Aquariums

(I hate going to that site...........it always makes me want to set-up more tanks...:( )

Thanks for the site recommendation, it's awesome! I maybe will order from there... once my filter matures. :( I have to wait 3 weeks! That is so hard...

I chose: 1 royal gramma, 1 coral beauty angel so far. It is actually a 25 gallon as calculated by aqadvisor, but my dealer recommended these fish with the knowledge of my true tank size. I AM overfiltering. And overskimming.

I love royal grammas too but can never keep them alive for some reason. I love 6 line wrasses- tons of personality. I'm not gonna sit here and tell you what fish to get, your free to get whatever you want, but liveaquaria recommends a 70 gallon min tank for coral beauties. fish dealers are in the business of selling fish so I would seek a more objective opinion. Purple and red firefish are pretty also.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My gramma already is having parasite problems. Doing my research b4 I try to treat. My local dealer (a VERY knowledgeable place btw) said that a dwarf angel was fine in my tank. Yay! I am definitely enjoying my 2 months as a marine fishkeeper so far! (+ 6 months of research)

Back
Top Bottom