Best protein skimmer to buy???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is a red sea max 130d and the skimmer isn't great on it so I want to buy a new one to sit in the cabinet and just be fed with piping, I don't have a huge budget but want a decent skimmer up to £150. I could also do with an RO unit but again don't know anything about them such as which is best, any help is appreciated. Thanks

honestly on a 35 gallon you don't really need a skimmer and can get away with just regular filtration and weekly waterchanges. my skimmer pulled out nothing from the water columb so i removed it

When I had the skimmer in before it used to take a lot of waste out of the water but just wasn't that good, so I need a new one but dunno which to get

if it was pulling a lot of waste out of the water, then apparently, it was pretty good.
just do weekly partial water changes and keep your skimmer, and your money.

It was just really sensitive and I'd have to adjust it constantly to keep it working

just like stated above, the octos are pretty good for the money, though i wouldn't even have a skimmer on a tank of that size. water changes will remove waste, and replenish elements at the same time.

Paulm87 said:
When I had the skimmer in before it used to take a lot of waste out of the water but just wasn't that good, so I need a new one but dunno which to get

What "wasn't that good" about the last one? I love my Reef Octopus. It's an in sump skimmer though.

I hace a coralife one for 65 and i do a 30% water change But thats me that work 70 hours a week lol

Firemedic1081 said:
What "wasn't that good" about the last one? I love my Reef Octopus. It's an in sump skimmer though.

It just constantly needed tweaking, i would need to alter it several times a day otherwise it just used to stop working

My octopus skimmer fills my cup every other day and it's the bh 100 hob skimmer here is what it looks like every day

Back
Top Bottom