Best Saltwater Tank Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I started with a 55 only 5 months ago and I now have itch to get a 125 or a 180. All I can say is look at what you can spend and go as big as you can.

phoenixkiller said:
Dang it dang it dang it!! I just found a full set up 55 gallon saltwater aquarium for $350.00. Dang it!!

Why the dang it? Doesnt seem like too great a deal anyways

phoenixkiller said:
Well considering the fact of a 55 gallon SW set up being several thousand dollars, that is an improvement to say the least.

You are REALLY far off the mark. 2000 for the BEST quality equipment with a sump and all that jazz.

I'm pretty happy with my 46 bow front...right in between being a big tank or a small tank giving me a nice buffer for my parameters but only 5-15 gallon water changes at a time...I've just finished this tank for the most part other then reactors and future upgrades..I'm right in the neighborhood of $2k for a 46 bowfront drilled with sump/refugium and running a 6 bulb tek elite (keep in mind that's not all full blown retail since I watch CL like a hawk which any reefer should lol)

Edit* that's also including my stock of around 30 corals/frags, large CUC and 4 fish

I started with a 75G that I purchased off kijiji, but since I was new to the hobby, learning on the fly and reading and got taken huge.

I ended up dropping a fortune replacing the tank, sump, skimmer and lighting right off the get go (got a 90G tank and pine stand for a great deal and was better than going with hang on overflow as the new tank was drilled).

I must say I am preferential to taller tanks, allowing your inhabitants more swimming area and corals to grow upward. It also allows the owner to create some very unique aqua-scaping as well as even creating your own 3D backgrounds and would recommend the same.
I also find that with a larger water volume, your parameters are a little forgiving if a toxic inhabitant kicks the bucket (anemone/cucumber etc.) and allows more time to conduct an emergency water change to correct the issue.

As far as equipment prices go, your are not looking at a huge difference between gear to run a 55g to 90g IMO.

With a bigger tank it allows you to have more corals, fish and fish types (some tangs or angels depending on the route you want to take).
I would search through kijiji/craigslist and even local marine forums and possibly even this website for a local purchase. I've seen fully stocked established setups in the 90-125G range for $1000-1500 range with very nice equipment and live stock.

If you are going to go down the marine route; I highly recommend an RODI unit and a bio-pellet reactor; my tank has seen amazing success with those two additions.

You can also look for a red sea max system that have two sizes, one in the 30's and the second in the 60G range that have everything you need to run a marine tank equipment wise. These can also be picked up at a fraction of retail in the classifieds if you do not want to source out seperate components to get started.

I would go for the 60G range if going that route though.

A 90g doesn't give you more options for fish than a 55g? :confused:

Sorry, double layer was a bad choice of words. I like tanks with a mid-level shelf like this:

Tank of the Month - October 2003 - Reefkeeping Online Magazine

If you can fill the extra space correctly I think taller reef tanks look better in the long run. I also think they fill wall space better, more symmetrical. Just a personal preference. 75g's look kind of squat to me, like a breeder tank. If you have short arms then yah I guess a 90 would be too tall.

if you can fit a 6ft def. 125g or 180g :fish2:
The last thing before you commented was talk of a 75. I disagreed because a 75 is easier to light and reach the bottom-long arms or not.
The fish don't swim up and down so the extra 15 gallons isn't going to help with stocking. Even considering a 55, what fish do you think would be ok for a 90 but not for a 55? I don't think a 90 is suitable for a tang long term.

You can place monti caps half way up in a 75 just like a 90. The tank you linked has 2 x 400 watt halides over it. Not necessary for a 75 IME.
There's the personal taste aspect which I do respect, but there are other aspects to consider, like the lighting requirements, and reaching the bottom. The shallower the tank, the cheaper it is to light.

phoenixkiller said:
Ugh, there are soooooooooooooooooooooo many pretty tangs out there, but I always find them needing 125 gallons or more.....

Kole or tomini could be put in a 75 IMO

The last thing before you commented was talk of a 75. I disagreed because a 75 is easier to light and reach the bottom-long arms or not.
The fish don't swim up and down so the extra 15 gallons isn't going to help with stocking. Even considering a 55, what fish do you think would be ok for a 90 but not for a 55? I don't think a 90 is suitable for a tang long term.

You can place monti caps half way up in a 75 just like a 90. The tank you linked has 2 x 400 watt halides over it. Not necessary for a 75 IME.
There's the personal taste aspect which I do respect, but there are other aspects to consider, like the lighting requirements, and reaching the bottom. The shallower the tank, the cheaper it is to light.

Excuse my brief reply earlier, I was on my phone. I will use my laptop from now on so I can take my time and be more clear.

I agree stocking options don't really change from 75-90, I should have quoted the original poster's comment.

Though from a 55 to a 90 you could add more fish and thus have more options for fish. Also there are some tangs that will fit in a 90g given enough swimming area that I would never put in a 55.

If you want to argue for ease of tank maintenance and cost then yah def. 75>90.

For a better long term product and over all appearance 90>75.

Depends on your definition of "best" I guess.

I haven't seen a grown up 75 with softies LPS/monti caps/SPS.

That tank would be sweet! But a few things you should be reminded of:
1. Reef tanks are not recommended for SW beginners
2. I am five feet tall. 125 or 180 gallons is far too much
3. Maintenance. Having to empty 35%+ every week is a lot of water, and then I have to purchase a RO/DI system.
4. I am 13. Coming up with upwards of $5,000.00 is no piece of cake for anyone. (Best deal on Craigslist is $2,500 for a 180 gallon SW tank.)

Then yah I wouldn't get a 90g, it's mostly a personal preference.

What do you want to put in your tank? The best tank for you really depends on what you want.

I don't know. I am hoping to get some type of butterfly fish. Raccoon, Auriga, or Heniochus Black and White Butterfly fish I have my eye on. Hee hee also looking at the Snowflake Eel and the Clownfish...

I'm a fan of the 75. you would use the same lighting and components as the 55, but have an extra 6" front to back for aquascaping. The 90 is too deep IMO.

I totally agree with this. A 75g is one of the best options for starting in the SW hobby. You have good space and have lots of options for fish. A 90 is a little deep but if you want more water volume you can go there. Good call Mr. X

Ok, I shall (eventually) start my SW dreams with a 75 gallon FOWLR. Fish ideas for beginners anyone?

P.S. Do NOT post links to beginner fish. I want opinions from real live people. As I have stated above, I want one or more of those Butterfly fish.

phoenixkiller said:
Ok, I shall (eventually) start my SW dreams with a 75 gallon FOWLR. Fish ideas for beginners anyone?

P.S. Do NOT post links to beginner fish. I want opinions from real live people. As I have stated above, I want one or more of those Butterfly fish.

I think before you start to stock your imagionary tank you should definitly learn HOW to creats a sw tank. What equpiment is needed, how to test for salinity/parameters, etc. Stocking your tank is one of the last things that should be done IMO

phoenixkiller said:

Butterflys are pretty toigh to keep..i wouldnt suggest them.

Real opinions from only fish we have owned? I have an Occ. Clown, and a Chalk Bass and love them both:)

if you're going FOWLR angels are awesome, the dwarfs are pretty hardy(flame especially)

Have you considered a Porcupine puffer they are like dogs and have great personality. I haven't had one but there is one at my LFS that I visit often.

A 90 may be on the small end though.

Back
Top Bottom