Best SG for FOWLR tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hammerhead911

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 65 gallon FOWLR tank. I have kept my tank at 1.025. This is what I read, and was told. What are your opinions on the SG?
Is this a good SG? I have just recently read that a SG of about 1.018 is where I should be shooting for. Comments please......

For a FOWLR tank 1.018 is better, think of it as HypoSalinty and helping kep disease at bay! I run my FOWLR at around 1.019 - 1.020 and have had no problems!

I started out around 1.024 and my fish kept getting stressed and came up with ICH. So while I was fallow for 8 weeks I gradually reduced salinity and since then have had no problems. During the time I reduced salinity I did it real slow over the 8 weeks and everything handled it fine even my Skunk Cleaner!

1.025 is fine and it will not hurt anything, have my reef at that and never had any issues.
I run my fowlr at 1.020 and all is fine, been thinking of bringing it up to 1.023-24. I even have coral in there now(over flow from reef)and they are all fine.
Its your choice, I don't think anyone can give you proof that one is better then the other.
If there is proof I would like to see it..
I know some LFS run low SG because it is suppose to keep parasites in check. Not sure that is the best thing for fish long term JMO..

A low salinity of 1.018-20 will save you on the salt bill but is not low enough to have any kind of effect on disease. Short term it can also reduce stress and entice appetite. As seaham said I am not sure of the long term consequences though. I have heard it can cause internal organ damage but I personal have not see a study on it. I can promise you that the lower salinity will not stop disease though. Tons of reports on that. I keep my tank at 1.025 just because it is closer to their natural enviroment. "Stress" is probably due more to being in a tank than the salinity level.

I'd sure like to hear Steve S. chime in on this one. Hard science with references is much preferred over hobbyists' opinions. It'd be a better foundation on deciding which way you go.

It seems pretty well established that true "hypo" is 1.009 and not much higher. My guess is the LR and inverts couldn't tolerate that low a number, which is why you need to move the fish out during any hypo period.

Perhaps LFS keep their tanks at lower salinities (~1.020) to suppress any visible signs of ich. It's only when the fish gets to your 1.025 tank where the ich can raise its ugly head.

Spin

An SG of 1.023 is perfect for a FOWLR. For tanks with inverts (Corals), an SG of 1.025 is recommended which is what I have my SPS tank at.

spinman said:
Perhaps LFS keep their tanks at lower salinities (~1.020) to suppress any visible signs of ich. It's only when the fish gets to your 1.025 tank where the ich can raise its ugly head.
Spin

Actually I think they do it to just save money on salt. A SG of 1.020 isn't doing much to help the fish as far as disease issues go.

Hard science in this hobby IMO does not mean too much.. For me its having success. Keeping fish alive long term and having good coral growth. there is no way we can match the scientific approach here. We all use different salts, water, lights, LR , filters ect. I go with what works well for others/me and from trial and error. I have never tried to match NSW and never will, just not going to happen.
They can tell me what natural sea water parameters are and what my salt brand parameters are but unless I stay on top of my maintenance it all means nothing.
IMO you can not go wrong with 1.025, but people have success running lower. In this hobby there are many ways to do things and end up with the same result... A good healthy tank.

Back
Top Bottom