best snail beside turbo mexican

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beefandpork

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I just got rid of 2 mexican turbo snails due to the fact they keep knocking over rocks and frags. They do a wonderful at keeping the tank clean but I just had to let them go.

Anyway just curious what other snails would do a good job at cleaning hair alge. i donot get a lot but ocassionally i see strands on rocks.

thanks. I perfer not to get crabs.

Most snails are not going to simply mow down hair algae unless very large, hence Turbo snails. My faves are: Trochus, Astrea, Nassarius (sand), and Blue tuxedo urchins.

thanks, yeah i think i'm going with Trochus been hearing tons of good things about these clean up guys.

Yup... trochus is my #1 favorite, with nassarius for the sand. But I have to say, my new runner up to trochus are "star astrea" snails. Not sure of the formal name, but my LFS gets them in from time to time. They look like ninja throwing stars, but are in the astrea family. But they rarely end up upside down AND they eat hair algae. They also seem to eat coralline algae too... at least in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom