Best tankadditive for ph control?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i been trying seachem marine buffer says it raises and mantains at 8.3 and wont go over i dont have a problem i just use it once in a while to ease my mind

Low and/or cronic pH problems are indicitive of something amiss with the set up and/or bioload in the tank. If you constantly need to add buffers to aid the pH, you should review the set up for possible causes. In most cases it will be environmental and not chemical.

Causes: Low GPH, tank covered with solid lid and no sump, too much ambient CO2, heavy fish load (overstocked), overfeeding, low alkalinity (rarely), newly cycled or still in the process and/or improper placement of powerheads.

Also be sure you are not guaging the overall levels if testing early in the day. Best to test midday or later. pH will typically be at it's lowest point just before the lights come on (7.8-7.9) and climb throughout the day (8.3-8.5).

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, Steve. My tank is new and just cycling. I took a reading after a week and noticed it a bit low.

I wouldn't be too concerned then unless you're cycling with LR heavily encusted with hitchikers. If so, do a few water changes. If not let it be. It's quite normal for the cycle to wreek havoc with the water chem. Once the NH3 and NO2 read undetectable, do a large (up to 50%) water change with well aged/aerated SW and it will bring things back to normal.

Cheers
Steve

i have crabs said:
i been trying seachem marine buffer says it raises and mantains at 8.3 and wont go over i dont have a problem i just use it once in a while to ease my mind

That stuff is AWESOME !

Back
Top Bottom