Best way to cycle a 45g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hart62

Aquarium Advice Activist
45g sw, standard fluorescent lights, 32 lbs of live rock, 13 lbs dry rock, 60 lbs live sand, Emperor 400 hob, 200w heater, no protein skimmer yet, used RO water to mix salt, salinity is at 1.023. 2 weeks into the cycle today.

Question. What is the best way to cycle the tank? I've read several methods, live fish, hermit carbs, store bought shrimp, just live rock and live sand. I have two peppermint shrimp in there now trying to get rid of the aptasia anemone. It must like the tank conditions because it is flying high and waving. Lol. Nothing else live besides a crab that came on the rock. Haven't seen it lately so I don't know of it survived or not. It hides under the rock and blends in with the sand.

Need advice before I get much further in to cycle.

Oh how could I forget my sea urchin that came on my live rock. He's my only source of entertainment since I removed the mantis shrimp and took back to lfs.

Your tank will cycle w just live rock in it, but having crabs and hermits are a good idea, i bought dr. Tims one and only, it boosts your benificial bacteria, i used it on my 55 gallon and i barliy saw a cycle, and i added fish right after w no bad effects

Thanks that's what I thought but the "aquatics expert" at Petco is trying to convince me I need to use fish or at least a frozen shrimp to cycle. I didn't want to sacrifice anything if I didn't have to.

Cycing w fish generally is frowned upon its liking poisoning your fish and hoping they survive, also i encourage you to find a "live fish store" that specialize in saltwater tanks, petco isnt a very good fish store IMO

There are a couple in my area but the condition of the tanks don't impress me very much. I may have to start looking in the Atlanta area for a lfs.

Read this back when you sent it to me. Thanks. Been tied up with work but I finally got the chance to post some pictures on here. Go check them out and tell me what you think. Still a work in progress.

Back
Top Bottom