BF's stock list VS. Mine...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtneyclv

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my BF said if he could, he would get...

Tang
Trigger (not Niger)
porcupine pufferfish
Lionfish
Wrasse

We have a 80 gallon tank.
I think my stock list should be...

porcupine puffer #1
Wrasse (maybe fairy..suggestions?)
Tang
(maybe a dwarf angel or butterfly)

What do you think about our suggestions? I am going to go FOWLR for now.

Your boyfriend already got you in trouble once dont let it happen again. Your`s is much better because of the bioload.

Your boyfriend already got you in trouble once dont let it happen again. Your`s is much better because of the bioload.
I agree, very strongly. IMO, until he signs up on this site, don't consider much of what he wants! I'm not not trying to be harsh, but you were doing great until he got involved...At least, that's what I remember....

Oh I know! He isn't allowed to put a trigger in there or a lion etc. CAN I have those fish on
my list and will they get along together with inverts? (especially the puffer?)

What order should I add the fish??

The puffer and I believe the wrasse will probably take care of the inverts. Let`s see if anybody out there with these two will answer.

I know the puffer will and possibly the trigger (to wear down their "fused teeth). I believe the lion will eat inverts also.

Well lets say I do my list, not the bf's..besides the eating of inverts (what inverts by the way?) will all of the fish get along? I heard that the 'reef safe' wrasse do not eat inverts?

Sometimes the temptation of the fresh shrimp or crab is just too much to bear...

Most of the fairy or flasher wrasses will be too small. Eventually the puffer will consider them a snack.

I suggest researching the trials and tribulations of other porcupine puffer owners before deciding on one for sure. They are as bad if not worse than the powder blue tangs for maintaining active cultures of ick. They also can grow to be nearly two feet long! This could pose a problem in the future.

Ive made my decision then..no puffers and no powder blue tangs! I CANNOT get ich again! Any tangs not that suseptable that you know of?

Any tangs not that suseptable that you know of?
As far as I know, all fish are suseptable to ich, although, there are some tangs that a re less likely to it. If I remember correctly, austinsdad listed a few in a post, not long ago.
Austinsdad/whomever, please forgive me if I am incorrect!

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=369 . i have one of these wrasse. they are very cool and are active swimmers.

mandarins to the best of my knowledge do not get ich ( mine did not ). but you need lots of live rock, a sump with refugium and an established tank to support them.

if you QT all new fish for 6 - 8 weeks they will in most case show ich if they have it. i have seen some discussion that you can just go the safe route and treat all new arrivlas in QT with the hypo-salinity treatment. this has proven very effective in ridding fish of ich. from what i have read. the lower salt levels can actually be less stressful to a new fish anyway. you would need to acclimate them to a normal salinty first though. you could not acclimate a new fish a hypo-salinity SG the day you bring them home

dwarf angels can be a good fish. i have a bi color angel in a reef and he is not exactly a model citizen. but not unbearable.

IMO, i would not let how likley a fish is to have ich effect your choice. pretty much all fish can get it and can be treated while in QT before introducing them to the main

steve r

I have found IME that yellow and kole tangs are less suseptible to ick . As stated all fish can get ick but some are more suseptible i.e. powder blue.

Back
Top Bottom