Big or small tank for saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chevy_guy2002

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been looking into getting a saltwater tank. I have read that the bigger the tank the easier it is to take care of. I would like to start with a 14 or 20gal tank just to see how it goes since its so costly. What is everyones thought about this? Which tank is better to start off with for salt water..Big tank or small?

IMO small, while it may be harder, either way you will make mistakes, would u rather kill 3 or 30 fish. Im not saying that you wont do everything to prevent mistakes, its just that we all make them

I like large tanks because of sumps...it really depends on the type of fish and corals your wish to keep...price all varies depending on the extra equipment you buy for your tank (ie sump tanks, nitrate reactor, phosphate reactor...ect)...

before buying any tank, decide on the fish you would really like to keep...once you have decided on the fish you want get the size of tank needed...if you wish to remain small I would suggest looking at clownfish and damsels to start...if you don't want any corals you can even look into dwarf angels...

I was looking into getting another biocube. Also i was looking just to use the standard wet/dry filtration on the biocube but taking the bio balls out and replacing it with LR. Also i was looking at adding a skimmer and circulation. I'll probably get two clownfish if they can do alright in a 14gal tank. Some corals might be added later but i'll start with just the LR.

One clown fish need more than an 8 gallon tank. If you want a pair get a 24 gallon cube at least. If you look around they are out there believe me I have gotten 4 of them already and now have 2 the other two were gifts to friends.

Back
Top Bottom