Bill's Intro to the Reef - 5 Gallon Rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw an article yesterday about a snail that can be found from California to Alaska that is brightly colored yellow and purple. I wish I could find it...something like that would be amazing in a 5g.

I'd add some real pretty hermits and snails too. :) And a shrimp! Or shrimps if you go with sexy shrimp. :)

I'd add some real pretty hermits and snails too. :) And a shrimp! Or shrimps if you go with sexy shrimp. :)

Well, I have a margarita, a nerite, and a scarlet red hermit right now... I'm thinking I'll add one more of each of those, plus two Nassarius and two sexy shrimp... Oh and the clown goby. Sound like a good stock?

Sure does. You'll love the clown goby, I have two and they are the cutest things. :)
Love the scarlets too but my lfs gets like $4 a piece for them. lol

Sure does. You'll love the clown goby, I have two and they are the cutest things. :)
Love the scarlets too but my lfs gets like $4 a piece for them. lol

Yeah, the yellow clown gobys are super cute! I can't wait to get one. I really like the green ones too, but they don't seem to be as active...

I saw an article yesterday about a snail that can be found from California to Alaska that is brightly colored yellow and purple. I wish I could find it...something like that would be amazing in a 5g.

Sounds cool! My nerite has some yellow in it and my margarita's shell is covered in purple coralline... Does that count...? :lol:

I happen to have a green AND yellow clown goby. The green isnt nearly as active as the yellow one but he has the faintest little red lines near his, very pretty fish. The yellow one is all over the tank and perches everywhere, he really likes my mag float. lol

I decided to do a full run of all tests I own tonight, here are the results...

pH - 7.8
kH - 12
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5
Phosphate - 0
Calcium - 480
Salinity - 1.024
Temp - 78

I also decided to take some pics with my wife's old digital camera. Not the best but they'll do. The diatoms are slowly disappearing, and I'm starting to see signs of life! So far I've seen a couple pods come out of the sand bed, I've got a few Asterina stars that came in with the corals, and I also saw a very tiny bristle worm poke its head out of a tiny hole in the rocks! Those guys give me the willies! Ew. Anyways, I think that's about it for now. Oh! Does it look like the zoas have zoa pox??? They have tons of tiny white dots on all the stocks... Here's the pics...

Lemme know what you guys think! Thanks for reading! :D

Lookin good! I've been out of town for a week and it looks like you've made some progress. :) love it!!! Sucks about the emerald crab. I've heard that happens.

Lookin good! I've been out of town for a week and it looks like you've made some progress. :) love it!!! Sucks about the emerald crab. I've heard that happens.

Thanks! I've been keepin an eye on the crab, and he does appear to only be picking algae off the corals as Carey stated. Still worries me that he'll irritate them to death. My wife is already pretty attached to him so I might get some lip if I end up taking him back... :lol:

Just think of the algae you might have without the crab! They are particularly good at bubble algae so he might be picking at that too.

As long as the coral opens up after a visit from mr crab they should be just fine.
:)

Just think of the algae you might have without the crab! They are particularly good at bubble algae so he might be picking at that too.

As long as the coral opens up after a visit from mr crab they should be just fine.
:)

Thanks Carey! I've only been considering taking him back, believe me, I don't want to. I guess I'll just leave him in there and stop talking about it! :lol:

Just a little update... The diatoms are just about gone. I'm starting to see small bits of some kind of green hair algae along with some red spots on the rocks. Not sure what that is... Also, just noticed an aptasia head popped up in the middle of my button polyps! Is it okay to treat this with something like aptasia x so close to the other polyps?

Just a little update... The diatoms are just about gone. I'm starting to see small bits of some kind of green hair algae along with some red spots on the rocks. Not sure what that is... Also, just noticed an aptasia head popped up in the middle of my button polyps! Is it okay to treat this with something like aptasia x so close to the other polyps?

You could always get a syringe and inject the aptasia with lemon juice instead of that. :) idk about aptasia x, so I don't have any input on that. The red spots are probably cyano bacteria! It can occur from over feeding, lack of flow in the area, or sometimes it just comes and goes. Lol

You could always get a syringe and inject the aptasia with lemon juice instead of that. :) idk about aptasia x, so I don't have any input on that. The red spots are probably cyano bacteria! It can occur from over feeding, lack of flow in the area, or sometimes it just comes and goes. Lol

Yeah, I'm thinking about trying lemon juice first, as I have all the stuff for that. It's pretty small, hopefully I can get to it.

Dang, I was hoping it was the coralline starting to grow... :/ haha

Yeah, I'm thinking about trying lemon juice first, as I have all the stuff for that. It's pretty small, hopefully I can get to it.

Dang, I was hoping it was the coralline starting to grow... :/ haha

I hope you can! Lol. It might be coralline, but usually it's more purple or pink. Plus the texture is different. Cyano bacteria is kind of slimy but the coralline is hard feeling. Like its part of the rock. :)

I hope you can! Lol. It might be coralline, but usually it's more purple or pink. Plus the texture is different. Cyano bacteria is kind of slimy but the coralline is hard feeling. Like its part of the rock. :)

I also have some tan/light green slimy looking stuff growing in a few spots, but I guess all that is good to keep my CUC fed. I still need to get around to picking up the rest of my CUC so this stuff doesn't get out of hand.

I'm seriously loving this little tank! I sit on my bed and just stare... It's awesome how simple the set up is, yet how complex and abundant the life that begins to grow inside... I'm fascinated. :D

Back
Top Bottom