Bill's Intro to the Reef - 5 Gallon Rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your tank looks really nice! Not ghetto at all, I really like it! :) Have you thought of doing an Aqua Clear 70 or 110 refugium mod? You can run your chaeto in there and still have room for some chemical media and filter floss or polyfil. Something like that would be more suitable on your size/style of tank than mine! ;)

Thanks for the kind words. :) that's an idea. One of those two filters would work. :) did you ever find a good algae?? There's a Facebook page I really like called "Saltwater Aquarium & Reef Keepers." People there are quick to respond and I've found some of them to be very knowledgable.

A dixie cup? Gotta love those nano's Im using 32 gal. trash cans :facepalm:
Well, I AM one gallon away from being a pico... :lol

Thanks for the kind words. :) that's an idea. One of those two filters would work. :) did you ever find a good algae?? There's a Facebook page I really like called "Saltwater Aquarium & Reef Keepers." People there are quick to respond and I've found some of them to be very knowledgable.
No problem j! Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out! :D

Small update after a trip to the LFS...

Picked up a few things...

img_2604823_0_61a24d39fa4b9e6cf268fbe85b4b0596.jpg
Red tip hermit crab

img_2604823_1_7876f1a195559020ec6c1c2342a9c915.jpg
Astraea snail

img_2604823_2_0af63ae86ee7f00ad1af25496072c68a.jpg
And a very poor quality frag with some fire and ice zoas, and another(orange center) kind... Maybe peanut butter cups or reverse gorilla nipples? That's the closest I could get on coralpedia...

Anyways, the frag has some hair algae and some red/purple macroalgae growing on it... Can I fix this? Or should I cut as many polyps off and put them on a new frag disc so the algae doesn't spread?

Also, here's my sad little candy cane... Still not doing well, it does puff up, but this is about as far as it goes... I glued it higher up on the rocks and it seems to be doing better than it was in the sand.
img_2604823_3_472c8a73f822a1740274ed329faf5400.jpg
Anyone think it'll eventually bounce back?

img_2604823_4_e7ad2564c0fb1200a7af84a1df9a2a75.jpg
FTS

Small update after a trip to the LFS...

Picked up a few things...

Red tip hermit crab

Astraea snail

And a very poor quality frag with some fire and ice zoas, and another(orange center) kind... Maybe peanut butter cups or reverse gorilla nipples? That's the closest I could get on coralpedia...

Anyways, the frag has some hair algae and some red/purple macroalgae growing on it... Can I fix this? Or should I cut as many polyps off and put them on a new frag disc so the algae doesn't spread?

Also, here's my sad little candy cane... Still not doing well, it does puff up, but this is about as far as it goes... I glued it higher up on the rocks and it seems to be doing better than it was in the sand. Anyone think it'll eventually bounce back?

FTS

Awesome! Its looking very good. I think it will bounce back. Give it more time and remember patience is key!

Awesome! Its looking very good. I think it will bounce back. Give it more time and remember patience is key!

I dunno.... Part of the skeleton broke off...

Anyways, did my best to frag some polyps on to some of my rock rubble I had left over. Hopefully those bounce back and grow in to some nice little colonies...

I dunno.... Part of the skeleton broke off...

Anyways, did my best to frag some polyps on to some of my rock rubble I had left over. Hopefully those bounce back and grow in to some nice little colonies...

Just give her time. I think it'll bounce back better than ever but either way something is bound to come alive! It all still looks great. Nemo looks awesome too!

Just give her time. I think it'll bounce back better than ever but either way something is bound to come alive! It all still looks great. Nemo looks awesome too!

Thanks! It actually just got knocked off the rock... :facepalm: I'll glue it back in tomorrow and keep hoping for the best!

Yup... It looked so good in the store, but never opened back up again... Shriveled up to almost nothing... Must have been to early for that specific coral... Live and learn. Hopefully the tank is a bit more stable now.

I bought 4 polyps of the krypto candy cane myself. One has completely receded and another is showing tissue recession as well but I just upgraded my light and they seem to be doing better. I'm still expecting to kill it though :hide:

Been doing some reading and found some sources say no more than 5... Hmmm... I haven't really vacuumed anything from the sand or rocks, and I have yet to clean the powerhead. I'm sure once I implement that in to my cleaning routine I might see some lower numbers. Reason being, I'm starting to see some hair algae, so I'd like to get trates down as low as possible. I've also been thinking of incorporating some kind of red macro algae in to the scape to hopefully suck up some of the excess nutrients.

At about the two month mark I had some hair algae show up in my tank. A little in my refugium and some in my overflow but it seemed like that was jut part of a cycle my tank went through. It was gone as soon as it appeared despite me not doing anything special to get rid of it. Some turf algae did the exact same thing.

Thanks Mebbid. I guess as long as there is green tissue and it puffs up, I'll still have a little hope.

On another note...

The most active member of my CUC seems to be dying... My margarita snail. He keeps falling off the glass and sometimes just sits in the sand with out moving for hours... He used to be all over the tank all day and night... I'm reading that they're actually a cold water species and won't last long at temps around 78... Anybody with experience on this subject? Such a shame... He really was an algae eating machine!

I used them in my original setup. It's true that they like cooler water and don't last long. Did do a great job. I moved on to nar snails. I had others but all died off from pyramid snails.

Back
Top Bottom