Bill's Intro to the Reef - 5 Gallon Rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It started to come back out last night, which I think is good. I've read some have had them not come back out for 24 hours after discharge. I did notice a few sad looking darker tentacles last night before the event... I hope it's okay. I'm all worried now... :eyes:
It poops and now your worried!?! Did it strain too hard? Jk I get what your saying

Haha! You guys are funny! :D

Huizheng, I'm not running a filter, I'm relying solely on live rock and sand for biological filtration and water changes to keep nitrates low. Occasionally I throw a small hob on with some filter floss, usually after a water change. 50/50 means half white half blue, as far as I know. This bulb is supposed to be between 10,000 and 30,000k.

I wouldnt worry im thinking that it just dropped a duce and will be happier later
and i havent laughed this hard in a while

Haha...I have a 5 yr old and a newborn. How's the reef doin? Any new strange things?

Nothing too out of the ordinary today! Yet... The torch looks to be bouncing back just fine, and almost all the zoas I chopped up are opened, or look ready to open. The tank has been pretty cloudy lately, and is recovering from another algae bloom. Not sure what it was, could have been a mild case of cyano. If and when I do upgrade, I'll definitely be drilling the new tank for a sump. I prefer crystal clear water... Next time I pick up water from the LFS, I'm gonna look for some trochus snails. I've been reading they have a similar appetite as the margarita I lost, can right themselves if they fall, and can fend off hermits by a quick shake of their shell. This might be the CUC member I really need. I'm also thinking of getting another small emerald crab...

Nothing too out of the ordinary today! Yet... The torch looks to be bouncing back just fine, and almost all the zoas I chopped up are opened, or look ready to open. The tank has been pretty cloudy lately, and is recovering from another algae bloom. Not sure what it was, could have been a mild case of cyano. If and when I do upgrade, I'll definitely be drilling the new tank for a sump. I prefer crystal clear water... Next time I pick up water from the LFS, I'm gonna look for some trochus snails. I've been reading they have a similar appetite as the margarita I lost, can right themselves if they fall, and can fend off hermits by a quick shake of their shell. This might be the CUC member I really need. I'm also thinking of getting another small emerald crab...

Ya I would do a sump also. That snail sounds like a good addition to the nano. I am itching to do a salty setup so bad I did a rimless 10g simulated sw setup for my Betta I just need to get some fw safe dry reef rock, a dwarf Cray and a couple other fish and hope the Betta don't eat them. LoL

Ya I would do a sump also. That snail sounds like a good addition to the nano. I am itching to do a salty setup so bad I did a rimless 10g simulated sw setup for my Betta I just need to get some fw safe dry reef rock, a dwarf Cray and a couple other fish and hope the Betta don't eat them. LoL

Did you de-rim a standard 10g?

Cool man, lookin good. :)

Oh, I was gonna say that I have yet to get a siphon dedicated to this tank. I don't want to use the one I have for my fw just to be safe. I'll update once I start using one. Hopefully with better cleaning, this filterless, sumpless, skimmerless setup will work out better. I just have to be diligent.

All natural huh. Sounds like a royal pita. I'd like to try a planted tank like that.

All natural huh. Sounds like a royal pita. I'd like to try a planted tank like that.

Yup! All natural! I really don't mind it, the tank is so small that maintenance takes about 20-30 minutes. That's nothing compared to the hours it takes me to clean the the filter, filter tubes, lily pipes, diffuser, glass, and trim the the 12 long.... Now that tank was a royal pita! It's much easier since I simplified it, though. It's just the canister and lily pipe/tube maintenance that I dread every month...

Yup! All natural! I really don't mind it, the tank is so small that maintenance takes about 20-30 minutes. That's nothing compared to the hours it takes me to clean the the filter, filter tubes, lily pipes, diffuser, glass, and trim the the 12 long.... Now that tank was a royal pita! It's much easier since I simplified it, though. It's just the canister and lily pipe/tube maintenance that I dread every month...

True that.

hi bill, how is the diatom in your tank? what did you do to get rid of them? i accidentally left my PC light fixture on for two days straight and when i came back from the trip the tank is covered with diatoms.

Attachments

• IMG698.jpg
    IMG698.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 93
hi bill, how is the diatom in your tank? what did you do to get rid of them? i accidentally left my PC light fixture on for two days straight and when i came back from the trip the tank is covered with diatoms.

They will leave eventually. Try and get a timer for the light. It will help you out tons

They will leave eventually. Try and get a timer for the light. It will help you out tons

i have one timer for each of the fish tank that i own, including this one. it just i had the timer on "ON" by accident.and now i have diatoms everywhere. is there some clean up crew that will eat it?

Back
Top Bottom