Bill's Intro to the Reef - 5 Gallon Rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey bill! I've been following and the tank look great, if I could afford it your tank would make me want one. As for freshwater plant people, how about "wet thumbs"? A variation of a green thumb haha

Hey bill! I've been following and the tank look great, if I could afford it your tank would make me want one. As for freshwater plant people, how about "wet thumbs"? A variation of a green thumb haha

Still doesn't sound cool. No matter how you look at it, the planted side will always be a little nerdy... :lol: this little tank hasn't cost me that much yet. Already had the tank and light. just purchased the powerhead, heater, rock, sand, water, and stuff for the auto top off system like a pump and float switch. Oh and the refractometer. It's gonna get expensive when I start adding live stock though. But that can always be done gradually. It's probably only cost me a couple hundred so far.

Better, but still not there. "The ones who shall not be named" works for any group. "The planters whom shall not be named." There. Customized.

Nothing much new to report... I've been super busy with work and remodeling our bathroom, but I have received all the equipment for the ATO, just need to take some time to set it up...
img_2559829_0_0929371cc954d7508fb16cd87ad52394.jpg

I was starting to get some nice salt creep up the sides of the glass and the fixture mount. Cleaned it all up this evening, cleaned all the glass, and added the small HOB with some polyfil to catch the rest of the dust. The tank is pretty clear now, but I still get some particles that settle on the glass and heater. Hopefully the filter will catch this stuff. Well, here's some new crappy iPhone pictures from tonight... The moonlight actually looks pretty cool, and I enjoy the blue, but the iPhone can't take a decent picture of it...
img_2559829_1_7f9ea79018609d0b8ad94ad57cf7b79f.jpg

img_2559829_2_37b08d959b82d4b688475cb782432ec4.jpg
img_2559829_3_7cb664904380fd8e895e6ffd11d6706e.jpg
img_2559829_4_7c037b29aa5a262088f349a9a1b00601.jpg

Just waiting on the cycle to finish up now... Can't wait to get some life in this thing! Do you guys have any opinions on what I can grow under this 26 watt 50/50 bulb???

That looks really awesome bill. What type of light fixture is that? I cant advise you on what you can grow but it does look amazing so far! Keep up the great reports!

That looks really awesome bill. What type of light fixture is that? I cant advise you on what you can grow but it does look amazing so far! Keep up the great reports!

It's the Finnex "Epoch" clip light, it houses a 26 watt 3U type screw in bulb. Thanks for the kind words! :) I still have a lot to learn about saltwater...

It's the Finnex "Epoch" clip light, it houses a 26 watt 3U type screw in bulb. Thanks for the kind words! :) I still have a lot to learn about saltwater...

Well ive seen your freshwater tanks and they look awesome so you have no choice but too succeed. You've got this far already so there is no turning back. I look forward to another update

Btw thats not a bad light at all. I wish they gave you freshwater lighting for it when you order. 31.49 isnt a bad price at all

Btw thats not a bad light at all. I wish they gave you freshwater lighting for it when you order. 31.49 isnt a bad price at all

I believe they used to have the option to choose a 6500k bulb or 50/50... I don't know why they stopped and only sell the 50/50... I plan on switching to LEDs eventually, but for now this will have to do.

Anyone else have opinions on the light and what coral I can keep? Was planning on zoas, maybe some other stuff? Coral suggestions would be great as well.

Anyone else have opinions on the light and what coral I can keep? Was planning on zoas, maybe some other stuff? Coral suggestions would be great as well.

I'm not a light expert, but I'm sure you could keep softies. Mushrooms, zoas, palythoas, etc.

I really like candy canes and torch corals as well. Are these higher light corals? Thanks for the input btw j! :)

Edit: after looking these up on LA, figured out they're LPS? So could I keep LPS corals? Again, 26 watt 3U bulb, tank is 10x10x12".

Last edited:
Well, this morning I noticed I'm starting to get some diatoms, so I tested the water. Ammonia has creeped down to .25 and nitrite was down to 1-2.
img_2560720_0_82ef99a8a394f802c1ea07778795a1a5.jpg

Decided to head to the LFS this afternoon, as I was almost out of RO/DI. Made a nice little trip out of it with my stepson, stopped for some In-n-out on the way, then to the fish store! I think this was the cheapest trip to the LFS I've ever made... Picked up a small piece of live rock to help seed the tank, 5 gallons of water for top offs, and resisted buying a baby clown... :lol: Made it out for only 3 bucks! ;)
img_2560720_1_babfece3826aaf66a107d3e6ca6e063b.jpg

I do currently have an emerald crab in the tank, who's proven to be quite hardy, and to have a nice appetite. So far I've just been feeding him some frozen brine, and he loves it... Clings on to my tweezers with his claws! He's surprisingly strong... I know I probably shouldn't have added him yet, but it was hard to say no the last time I went to the LFS with the wife... He seems to be doing well, like I said, he's got a great appetite.
img_2560720_2_2dba9b8a780d6ee009729bbdaa080604.jpg

Should I do a water change tonight? Or wait and see if the little bit of live rock makes a difference in wrapping up the cycle?

Last edited:
Well, this morning I noticed I'm starting to get some diatoms, so I tested the water. Ammonia has creeped down to .25 and nitrite was down to 1-2.
Decided to head to the LFS this afternoon, as I was almost out of RO/DI. Made a nice little trip out of it with my stepson, stopped for some In-n-out on the way, then to the fish store! I think this was the cheapest trip to the LFS I've ever made... Picked up a small piece of live rock to help seed the tank, 5 gallons of water for top offs, and resisted buying a baby clown... :lol: Made it out for only 3 bucks! ;)
I do currently have an emerald crab in the tank, who's proven to be quite hardy, and to have a nice appetite. So far I've just been feeding him some frozen brine, and he loves it... Clings on to my tweezers with his claws! He's surprisingly strong... I know I probably shouldn't have added him yet, but it was hard to say no the last time I went to the LFS with the wife... He seems to be doing well, like I said, he's got a great appetite.
Should I do a water change tonight? Or wait and see if the little bit of live rock makes a difference in wrapping up the cycle?

Looking good! I would wait to do a water change until the nitrate spike, but that's just me. It may be more necessary with the little crab in there though. :) I always like emerald crabs.

Looking good! I would wait to do a water change until the nitrate spike, but that's just me. It may be more necessary with the little crab in there though. :) I always like emerald crabs.

Yeah, I love the little guy. Really fun to watch, especially at feeding time. I just hope he doesn't develop a taste for coral...Haven't checked nitrates in a while, I'll test for that later tonight. I'm sure they've already spiked though. I believe I had nitrites and nitrates 2 days after adding the bottle of dr tim's one and only.

Back
Top Bottom