Bill's Intro to the Reef - 5 Gallon Rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I love the little guy. Really fun to watch, especially at feeding time. I just hope he doesn't develop a taste for coral...Haven't checked nitrates in a while, I'll test for that later tonight. I'm sure they've already spiked though. I believe I had nitrites and nitrates 2 days after adding the bottle of dr tim's one and only.

I hope not too. I've been lucky with mine, I guess.

Just tested again...

Ammo .25
Nitrites 2
Nitrates 10

Seems to be coming along nicely, just not as fast as I'd hoped for. Patience...

Cycling is a weird thing. Ya never know how long it's going to take! I would wait on a water change.

Cycling is a weird thing. Ya never know how long it's going to take! I would wait on a water change.

Yeah, it's a PITA too... :lol: Okay, okay, I'll wait on the water change... Going on a short camping trip tomorrow so the tank will be on its own till Tuesday... I'll test again when we get back.

Question... Do I have to keep my stored saltwater circulated? I only had a little bit left after filling the tank, probably enough for a decent water change, but I currently don't have a pump to run an air stone in it. What are the problems that can arise from this? Will all the salt just settle? The water go bad? Just curious.

Yeah, it's a PITA too... :lol: Okay, okay, I'll wait on the water change... Going on a short camping trip tomorrow so the tank will be on its own till Tuesday... I'll test again when we get back.

Question... Do I have to keep my stored saltwater circulated? I only had a little bit left after filling the tank, probably enough for a decent water change, but I currently don't have a pump to run an air stone in it. What are the problems that can arise from this? Will all the salt just settle? The water go bad? Just curious.

Lol. Yes it is! I don't keep mine circulated and I've never had any problems. :)

I gotta stop searching Craigslist when I'm broke... Found this whole 35g setup for 75 bucks! Would of made a cool little FOWLR for my wife... Ugh.

Attachments

• image-2708113941.jpg
    image-2708113941.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 120
I gotta stop searching Craigslist when I'm broke... Found this whole 35g setup for 75 bucks! Would of made a cool little FOWLR for my wife... Ugh.

You sound like me! I browse Craigslist when I don't even need a tank. It gets me into trouble. Lol.

You sound like me! I browse Craigslist when I don't even need a tank. It gets me into trouble. Lol.

Haha! Yeah, just showed it to my wife and she said, "Babe! You're starting to hoard fish tanks... I don't want a bedroom full of fish tanks!"

What the heck, I only have two right now... :lol:

Haha! Yeah, just showed it to my wife and she said, "Babe! You're starting to hoard fish tanks... I don't want a bedroom full of fish tanks!"

Thats it? You only need 20 more to be a hoarder!

Lol. My boyfriend said I needed to cut back. I got rid of 12 up and running aquariums and kept only one of them (my reef) now I have 2 tanks and keep thinking of possibilities for others. Should have just kept the aquariums! Lol!

Lol. My boyfriend said I needed to cut back. I got rid of 12 up and running aquariums and kept only one of them (my reef) now I have 2 tanks and keep thinking of possibilities for others. Should have just kept the aquariums! Lol!

Seriously! There are so many different setups and fish I'd like to keep that keeping one or two tanks is just not an option!

Seriously! There are so many different setups and fish I'd like to keep that keeping one or two tanks is just not an option!

I know! Me too! That's why I love this forum so much. I get to experience them vicariously. Lol. It's crazy how addicting fish keeping is. It's also like it's own world. Love it.

Yup, it's pretty much all I think about the majority of the day... :lol:

Lol. I know what you mean. I've been out of town for almost 2 weeks. I don't miss my own bed, my own kitchen, peace and quiet, or getting to do whatever I want. I miss my tanks!

2 weeks??? Oh I don't think I could do it! Haha

Lol. It's definitely a different type of withdrawal! I set up my 100 gallon to cycle while I was gone. So I've been looking forward to seeing the progress. :)

How is your little emerald crab doing today?

Lol. It's definitely a different type of withdrawal! I set up my 100 gallon to cycle while I was gone. So I've been looking forward to seeing the progress. :)

How is your little emerald crab doing today?

He's good, been out and about a lot, which is weird because I heard they like to hide. He was posted on the top of the rocks all day yesterday. I'm hoping the tank is cycled by next weekend so I can finally start adding some coral! I'm a little worried about the evaporation when I leave. I may have my mom stop by and top off the tank. I think he should be okay without feeding for a few days.

Last edited:

I know the feeling I have 4 up and running using another one to grow some plants emersed and have 50 different ideas on what I want next. My defence is it keeps me home and not out at the bars getting into trouble. LoL what used to be my party fund became my fish fund.

I know the feeling I have 4 up and running using another one to grow some plants emersed and have 50 different ideas on what I want next. My defence is it keeps me home and not out at the bars getting into trouble. LoL what used to be my party fund became my fish fund.

I think I'll be happy with two large tanks(one reef one amazon biotope angelfish tank) a few planted nanos, and of course this nano reef that's in our bedroom.

Back
Top Bottom