Bill's Intro to the Reef - 5 Gallon Rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hope you're not to OCD when it comes to the diatom, algae, and cyano bloom :lol:. Looks really sleek and clean. It will look that much better with life in it :).

Yeah, I'm pretty OCD about everything... Luckily salt has more options for good algae eaters and CUC, from what I understand... Thank you, I'm anxious to get some sort of life in there! :)

Reef safe CUC recommendations are welcome, so I can start making a list... ;)

I hate to ask but you know my situation. I can only view your Attached Thumbnail but not the other pics lol...

Dude! I thought you were supposed to be back in the states by now! Sorry, I usually post from photo bucket because AA seems to reduce photo quality when I upload... Anyways, here's some pics you can actually view...

Attachments

• image-3156086723.jpg
    image-3156086723.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 158
  • image-1235066523.jpg
    image-1235066523.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 178
Yeah, I can only imagine! I have an old evaporative cooler on the house, but don't use it. The previous owners didn't properly maintain it and its pretty much rusted out. I do have a wall mounted AC in the family room that cools down the house, but the bedrooms stay hot, and this tank is on our dresser... Well, I was looking for a challenge and got one! This should be fun! I HATE SUMMER! :(

Yeah. That sounds like a lot of work!
Yeah, I'm pretty OCD about everything... Luckily salt has more options for good algae eaters and CUC, from what I understand... Thank you, I'm anxious to get some sort of life in there! :)

Reef safe CUC recommendations are welcome, so I can start making a list... ;)

I would go to liveaquaria.com and look at their different cleaner packs and read the info on the "crew members." lol. That may give you a good idea of what you want. :)

Hey for stocking I know you said yellow clown goby. But also look at the green banded goby its one of my favorite nano fish

Got my refractometer today. Instructions say to use distilled water to calibrate but I'm all out at the moment. Checked it with RO/DI and it reads 0. Checked the tank water and its 1.024. Should I trust this reading? Pick up distilled water or calibration fluid? I'm reading some people state that RO/DI won't calibrate it properly.

Got my refractometer today. Instructions say to use distilled water to calibrate but I'm all out at the moment. Checked it with RO/DI and it reads 0. Checked the tank water and its 1.024. Should I trust this reading? Pick up distilled water or calibration fluid? I'm reading some people state that RO/DI won't calibrate it properly.

I don't know a whole lot but I think it has to have something to read. RO water should be 0 but distilled water usually gets some sort of reading. Which is why RO water is preferable. Lol.

I don't know a whole lot but I think it has to have something to read. RO water should be 0 but distilled water usually gets some sort of reading. Which is why RO water is preferable. Lol.

Yeah, from what I understand, as long as you ro water has 0 TDS it should be okay. I do not have a TDS meter... :/ I figured distilled would be better... Hmmm

On another note. I picked up the cheap clip on fan from Walmart. It's working out fairly well so far. Temp is staying at about 80 during the day, and 78 once the house cools off at night and through the morning. I have a Toms Aqualifter pump and Madison float switch on order for the ATO, should be here next week sometime. Gonna test params later tonight. I'll post results and an updated pic to show the fan.

Oh, the water is still a bit cloudy, should I run a small hob with polyfill for a few days? Thanks for the help so far guys! :)

On another note. I picked up the cheap clip on fan from Walmart. It's working out fairly well so far. Temp is staying at about 80 during the day, and 78 once the house cools off at night and through the morning. I have a Toms Aqualifter pump and Madison float switch on order for the ATO, should be here next week sometime. Gonna test params later tonight. I'll post results and an updated pic to show the fan.

Oh, the water is still a bit cloudy, should I run a small hob with polyfill for a few days? Thanks for the help so far guys! :)

It usually takes a few days for the sand to settle. Running a little filtration won't hurt. Sounds like you got your temp figured out. :)

If this goes well for you (which I'm assuming so since you have everything covered) an upgrade won't be too far in the future, right? :wink:

If this goes well for you (which I'm assuming so since you have everything covered) an upgrade won't be too far in the future, right? :wink:

Well... It depends... I have a lot of work I need to do on my house, and over the last year or so the hobby has been taking most of my extra money... Ahh, addiction. :) I may just get this dialed in, run it for a while. and get some stuff built other than aquariums... :lol: In the long run, yes, an upgrade is inevitable... ;) I may throw a budget FOWLR together with a pair of clowns for my wife and kid. They're extremely disappointed they can't have a "nemo" in this tank...

Back
Top Bottom