Bill's Intro to the Reef - 5 Gallon Rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol. You'll enjoy it more and more. Congrats on the cute little guy!

Thank you! Now I just hope he doesn't grow too fast!

I've been eying this yellow watchmen at the LFS and I was super tempted... He's been there the last few times I've gone... My wife really wanted a clown so I figured I'd make her happy first and get my watchmen later on after I upgrade. :)

Thank you! Now I just hope he doesn't grow too fast!

I've been eying this yellow watchmen at the LFS and I was super tempted... He's been there the last few times I've gone... My wife really wanted a clown so I figured I'd make her happy first and get my watchmen later on after I upgrade. :)

Ahhh. You have good taste. :) I love yellow watchmans! My clown hasn't seemed to grow much, but then again, he's in a much larger tank. So I haven't been keeping up with that. Lol.

Oh yeah! Brian was just telling me that today. That would make an amazing reef. You would really need some flow in that thing. Would you have to run a sump?

Maybe a large canister would add enough filtration and extra water volume for a 12 gallon reef? :)

The only thing EI canisters is they tend to build up nitrates, I've read. Sorry for hijacking, Bill!

The only thing EI canisters is they tend to build up nitrates, I've read. Sorry for hijacking, Bill!

That's usually argued because of lack of maintenance. The whole reef canister thing is widely argued but I'm not nearly experienced enough to have a real opinion. I think with a reef, canisters have to be cracked open once a week... No thanks... Haha

I hate canister filters because they always make a mess. So I concur. I was just thinking water volume! Lol.

I'm thinking if I keep it lightly stocked, relying on only biological filtration and water changes, like I am here in the 5 gallon.

I'm sure you'd be fine. I had a 10 gallon reef with only a HOB and it seemed fine. I didn't have it long before I upgraded though, so there wasn't much time for me to have a problem. But I can say that I had a hydor nano circulation pump and it was great. Now back to the 5 gallon. Lol. Sorry. Got carried away.

I hate canister filters because they always make a mess. So I concur. I was just thinking water volume! Lol.

I'm sure you'd be fine. I had a 10 gallon reef with only a HOB and it seemed fine. I didn't have it long before I upgraded though, so there wasn't much time for me to have a problem. But I can say that I had a hydor nano circulation pump and it was great. Now back to the 5 gallon. Lol. Sorry. Got carried away.

Haha no problem, I've been researching a lot about running nanos filterless, sumpless, skimmerless... It seems there's actually a lot of people doing it or only running a hob for chemical and mechanical purposes... So I dunno... I think it would just require more manual cleaning such as a lot of vacuuming the rocks and sand of excess waste to prevent nitrate/phosphate build up...

Haha no problem, I've been researching a lot about running nanos filterless, sumpless, skimmerless... It seems there's actually a lot of people doing it or only running a hob for chemical and mechanical purposes... So I dunno... I think it would just require more manual cleaning such as a lot of vacuuming the rocks and sand of excess waste to prevent nitrate/phosphate build up...

It's all trial and error. Haha. Can't wait to see what you end up doing.

Oh my gosh. I'm in love with that tank. It's incredible.

It's all trial and error. Haha. Can't wait to see what you end up doing.

Oh my gosh. I'm in love with that tank. It's incredible.

I know fort is running his 12 long with only an mp10... I don't think he has any fish though... I'll have to shot him a pm and see what he thinks.

Back
Top Bottom