Bio Pellets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roxxpac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone use bio pellet reactor? I use them and I notice that everything is good after few weeks everything bleaches, fish seem bother but after few months everything looks beautiful and healthy.. Why?

I have tested and the ammonia, nitrate, and ph is all good...

nitrates or die off from crap stuck in the bio balls.
bio balls and bio pellets are 2 totally different things

I tried the bio pellets and didn't like the results. I think they can make your water too clean and that can lead to corals bleaching. I ran them for a few months and then took the reactor offline. They didn't have any affect on my fish tho.

I was also thinking about getting a bio pellet reactor.....so CCCapt, youre saying you didnt like the results? Did you lose any corals or did they come back after bleaching? I don't want to risk my corals if thats the case....

The results are great . After the month or so. But at first there was a reaction that corals kind of bleach and the fish seem unhappy at first but everyone went back to normal after a month or so... I just wanted to know why?

I was also thinking about getting a bio pellet reactor.....so CCCapt, youre saying you didnt like the results? Did you lose any corals or did they come back after bleaching? I don't want to risk my corals if thats the case....
No, I did not like the results, but I tried them for a specific reason. I work at a nuclear power plant and I knew I would be working 50-70 hrs/wk for 2-3 months and probably wouldn't have time to do my normal tank maintanence. My thinking was the bio pellets would keep any nitrates or phosphates down if I couldn't do my normal routine. Since I wasn't home as much I was feeding alot less and I think the bio pellets actually made my water too clean. I lost 2 nice sized millie colonies. The flesh looked like it was literally peeling off and they died in a matter of days. After that I took the reactor offline and went back to just carbon and GFO.
They might have been OK if I had kept up with heavy feedings, since that's their purpose.....you can feed heavy and not worry about nitrate/phosphate. I personally won't go back to them. I've had lots of success with carbon and GFO and if it ain't broke I'm not going to try to fix it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom