Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-22-2014, 12:13 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 82
@Mascale. Thank you for your candid comments. I understand it and agree too. That is one of the reason I am coming to this forum. To tone down my urge to rush things up . I bought bio spira since it was on sale with the thinking that what the heck. Let me give it and see what happens. I placed a dead fish in the tank for several days and then dose ammonia. The plan is to check how the cycle is coming along and then use bio sipra to see if things can be boosted. Please comment if I need to make changes in my plan.

Again I would like to thank all of you who are reading my posts and offering me your valuable suggestions. It is really helping a saltwater noob like me.

Sent from my ME302C using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
ssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:26 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 61
I would never suggest adding it and then fish. But I had a bottle laying around for months, the first two on top of the fridge, the second two in the fridge. As I was planning to do fish less anyway, I figured it couldn't hurt to throw in the bottle. My 20 gal QT cycled in 8 days with ammonium chloride. I was so blown away I got another (both from Amazon), and my 75 DT with ammonium chloride cycled in 8-9 days. I have been dosing it with 2-4 ppm daily and every night it's at 0. I wouldn't say it works for everyone, but it has been brilliant for me. I honestly expected 30 days per, and started QT a couple weeks early.

I just hate having to dose my DT as the fish have only been in QT for a day or so...

Gotta keep the DT alive for a month.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
- Kurt Vonnegut
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Macscale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lakewood Ranch, Florida.
Posts: 2,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssky View Post
@Mascale. Thank you for your candid comments. I understand it and agree too. That is one of the reason I am coming to this forum. To tone down my urge to rush things up . I bought bio spira since it was on sale with the thinking that what the heck. Let me give it and see what happens. I placed a dead fish in the tank for several days and then dose ammonia. The plan is to check how the cycle is coming along and then use bio sipra to see if things can be boosted. Please comment if I need to make changes in my plan.

Again I would like to thank all of you who are reading my posts and offering me your valuable suggestions. It is really helping a saltwater noob like me.

Sent from my ME302C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That would be IMO the correct way to use the Spira...
__________________
55g Reef Build
Macscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mattyfelts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
I would never suggest adding it and then fish. But I had a bottle laying around for months, the first two on top of the fridge, the second two in the fridge. As I was planning to do fish less anyway, I figured it couldn't hurt to throw in the bottle. My 20 gal QT cycled in 8 days with ammonium chloride. I was so blown away I got another (both from Amazon), and my 75 DT with ammonium chloride cycled in 8-9 days. I have been dosing it with 2-4 ppm daily and every night it's at 0. I wouldn't say it works for everyone, but it has been brilliant for me. I honestly expected 30 days per, and started QT a couple weeks early.

I just hate having to dose my DT as the fish have only been in QT for a day or so...

Gotta keep the DT alive for a month.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I may be wrong but aren't you supposed to use pure ammonia. wouldn't dosing ammonium chloride introduce chloride, a much unwanted element into our tanks?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
60G Freshwater || 10G Reef
Instagram: MATTYFELTS
Mattyfelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Chefjpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: NYC
Posts: 103
Bio Spira

Ammonia chloride is a derivative of hydrochloric acid and ammonia. (More acidic - good for PH).

Its perfectly safe and appropriate for cycling, see Dr. Tim's website for instructions.

I used only the ammonia chloride to cycle my tanks as the only ammonia source. Easier to control IMO.

I think nitrites / nitrates will consume all the molecules involved.





Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
🐌
Chefjpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 61
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419364963.172826.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	259191


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
- Kurt Vonnegut
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mattyfelts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,111
thanks for clarification. as I said I was unsure


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
60G Freshwater || 10G Reef
Instagram: MATTYFELTS
Mattyfelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 82
Ammonium chloride...ummm that's a good suggestion. Thanks

Sent from my ME302C using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
ssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 82
So here I am chronicling my cycling process.

Thursday Dec 18. Dosed ammonia to 4 ppm.
Friday Dec 19. Checked ammonia. No significant change.
Left for vacation.
Tuesday Dec 23. Ammonia .25 ppm, nitrite 0, nitrate 20 ppm
Tuesday Dec 23. Dosd ammonia again to 2ppm.
Saga continues.

Sent from my ME302C using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
ssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:54 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 82
Wed. Dec 24. (after 12 hrs.). Ammonia down to 1 ppm, nitrite 0, nitrate 20 ppm.
Wed. Dec 24. (7:30 pm). Ammonia 0 or close to 0,
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20-40 ppm
PH 8.0
Salinity 1.022
Temp 77.8 F
Wed. Dec 24. (7:30 pm). Poured Bio Spira whole bottle (250 ml)
Wed. Dec 24. (8:30 pm). Dosed Ammonia to 4 ppm.



Just for reference for others. I have 45 gallon tank with 40 galllons pf water. It takes 3 ml of ammonia to get 4 ppm.
__________________
ssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 82
Thursday Dec. 25 (10:00 am). After 12 hours of using Bio Spira. Checked the water. Ammonia 1 ppm, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 40 ppm. Looks like things are going good.
Thursday Dec. 25 (12:00 pm). Dosed 1 ml of ammonia to raise it to 2 ppm.

If it again goes down to 0 by tomorrow. I am planning to do a 10 % (10 gallon) water change. Place my first pair of ocellaris clownfish in.

Suggestions/comments?
__________________
ssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #32
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,244
If you hit 0 ammonia and nitrite tomorrow, that is a great plan and exactly what I would suggest. The water change may or may not be large enough depending on what the nitrate level is, so I would leave that open. I always say a 50% water change simply because the math is easy...40 nitrate becomes 20 nitrate. But I'm sure you get the idea.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 82
The problem is I only have 10 gallons of RO water available
__________________
ssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:48 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 82
Is it possible to use one of those API water conditioner to fix tap water and use that? I have one sample lying around that can condition 10 gallons more
__________________
ssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #35
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,244
Conditioner doesn't fix the things that come into tap water. Your tap water could be bringing in higher nitrates than you are removing! So don't waste your time with tap water. Just do what you can with the ro/di.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 82
One more question. If I get fish from my lfs and if he says that the fish were with him for so many weeks and yada yada yada, should I still quarantine the fish. The reason I am asking is that I do not have any qt setup.

Sent from my ME302C using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
ssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:08 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssky View Post
One more question. If I get fish from my lfs and if he says that the fish were with him for so many weeks and yada yada yada, should I still quarantine the fish. The reason I am asking is that I do not have any qt setup.

Sent from my ME302C using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Yes, always always quarantine fish. Most lfs ranks will have active ich infections regardless if you can see it or not.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:22 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 82
I dosed this morning to 4 ppm ammonia. I wss wrong when I wrote my morning report.
Thursday Dec 25 (10.00 pm). Could n't wait and tested again. Ammonia is down to 2ppm, Nitrite .25 ppm, Nitrates 40 ppm.

I will check one more time in the morning and if parameters are good, then water change and fish..

Wish me good luck guys.

I don't know what am I gonna do with the qt setup. I don't have anything to use it as qt. Not happy. Any suggestions????

Sent from my ME302C using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
ssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 82
Friday Dec 26. Ammonia is down to .25 ppm may be zero can't distinguish clearly. Nitrites is also 0.25 ish, nitrates at 20-40 ppm.

Sent from my ME302C using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
ssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssky View Post
I dosed this morning to 4 ppm ammonia. I wss wrong when I wrote my morning report.
Thursday Dec 25 (10.00 pm). Could n't wait and tested again. Ammonia is down to 2ppm, Nitrite .25 ppm, Nitrates 40 ppm.

I will check one more time in the morning and if parameters are good, then water change and fish..

Wish me good luck guys.

I don't know what am I gonna do with the qt setup. I don't have anything to use it as qt. Not happy. Any suggestions????

Sent from my ME302C using Aquarium Advice mobile app
In a pinch a QT tank can be made out of a rubbermaid tote. The problem is you can't see the fish, but it's better than nothing.
__________________

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bio-Spira or bio-zyme products? Chriznat20 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 35 01-23-2010 11:36 PM
BIO-Spira product feedback littlelouie Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 49 03-10-2004 08:59 PM
Bio-Spira Mail order found Biggen Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 29 02-29-2004 09:10 PM
Using Bio-Spira to finish off a cycle Matt in MN Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 3 07-19-2003 10:30 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.