Bio Spira

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ssky

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I got a bottle of Bio Spira while it was on sale for 12 bucks. Says it can treat up to 200 gallon tank. Mine is only 45 gallon. My question is should I dose the tank with Ammonia after I put this product in and keep testing water parameters and then may be a week later put some fish in?

Or do what the bottle says. Empty the bottle in tank and after 30 minutes put fish in.

What do you guys recommend? Is this stuff really good?

Thanks in advance.

Sky

So I got a bottle of Bio Spira while it was on sale for 12 bucks. Says it can treat up to 200 gallon tank. Mine is only 45 gallon. My question is should I dose the tank with Ammonia after I put this product in and keep testing water parameters and then may be a week later put some fish in?

Or do what the bottle says. Empty the bottle in tank and after 30 minutes put fish in.

What do you guys recommend? Is this stuff really good?

Thanks in advance.

Sky

almost completly useless ive found. The last thing you wanna do in saltwater is throw chemicals in for no reason. Cycle fishless correctly and youll have no issue.

Don't just put fish in add ammonia too. I have been fishless cycling for over a month now and the nitrite would not go down below 1 ppm. I had some Bio Spira so I thought,why not 24 Hrs later nitrites were zero. I added more ammonia and again 24hrs later both ammonia and nitrites were zero. Do what you feel is best after gathering information and finding out what others have had success with.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Great Criptix. This is what I was thinking of doing.
1. Doze ammonia to 4 ppm.
2. Pour the whole bottle of bio spira.
3. Wait 30 minutes
4. Check Ammonia levels
5. Wait 24 hours
6. Check Ammonia level.
7. At that time I hope to see reduction in Ammonia and Nitrite and increase in Nitrate.
8. Keep doing it for a week
9. Add Fish
10. ENJOY !!!!

What do you guys think? Is it a good plan?

Thanks
Sky

I would 2nd the comment by mattyfelts... Chemicals IMO are not the way to go... Let nature run its course do its thing an don't try to speed up the process. What have you been cycling tour tank with? LR? Dead shrimp?

Exactly, bio spira is no chemical. Its a load of bacteria that u introduce in your system instead of slowly growing it over many weeks. I don't see a reason why it should not be tried. I know many traditional Aquarists will loat h at it but this the new way of cycling your tank. First it was shrimp, then came pure ammonia and now this. IMO

I used it and dosed ammonia for a week and a half let ammonia and nitrite reach zero, then added a fish. The fish has been great for over a week now.

bgmann. This exactly what I was thinking. Instead of putting fish after bio spira, I will dose it with Ammonia to see if the bacteria are fully functional. Only then will introduce fish and that too slowly.

Exactly, bio spira is no chemical. Its a load of bacteria that u introduce in your system instead of slowly growing it over many weeks. I don't see a reason why it should not be tried. I know many traditional Aquarists will loat h at it but this the new way of cycling your tank. First it was shrimp, then came pure ammonia and now this. IMO

It's actually been around for many years, primarily in the hands of pet stores and hardcore aquarists. They've since developed a freshwater version which is now called Tetra Safestart, and Dr. Hovanec also has his own unaffiliated line called Dr Tim's one and only.

I have tried bacteria in a bottle and it didn't work for me. My LFS cycled 40 tanks in about 36 hours so it works for them but not for everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have used it in both of my SW tanks, using Dr Tim's ammonia, and both tanks took~ 8 days to cycle. The stuff has worked awesome for me.

Thank you guys. This is giving alot of hope that this thing will work and my tank will cycle fast. cheers !!!

OP - good luck with this!
Jeta - thanks for posting a little history on the product and how it ties in with some of the current products out there.

Good luck. It'd be interesting to see how you get on with it

I have dosed the tank with 4 ppm ammonia. When I get back home, i will check the ammonia and the pour the whole bottle of bio spira. I will keep posting the process. It may help others too.

Sent from my ME302C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I'm not mistaken you're new to this side of the hobby correct?
If you do more reading then you'd understand what Matty was saying. No "Bacteria in a Bottle" product is going to have a 100% success rate. Several factors will decrease the rate quickly. There are several interviews with Dr. Tims who himself says they don't have a long shelf life as you're keeping them unoxidated in a bottle that is dark.
In this hobby slow and steady ALWAYS wins the race. You're rushing to speed things on which is only going to be a pain in the future.
I'd suggest being open to all the information being provided to you, and not being incompetent and listening to those who agree with you.

Secondly, your "timeline" here is not really correct as shown by Mr. Jeta over there.

Since the 1970's there have been many different ways to cycle tanks. Shrimp, Pure Ammonia and Bacteria Supplements are far off.
Other types like Fish In, Soft Cycles and other methods..

By far rushing it is the worst, (well I mean fish-in is completely irrational.) not to say that Dr. Tims and Spira don't work, because I have used them and they do to an extent. I think the more natural way will lead to more success.

If I'm not mistaken you're new to this side of the hobby correct?
If you do more reading then you'd understand what Matty was saying. No "Bacteria in a Bottle" product is going to have a 100% success rate. Several factors will decrease the rate quickly. There are several interviews with Dr. Tims who himself says they don't have a long shelf life as you're keeping them unoxidated in a bottle that is dark.
In this hobby slow and steady ALWAYS wins the race. You're rushing to speed things on which is only going to be a pain in the future.
I'd suggest being open to all the information being provided to you, and not being incompetent and listening to those who agree with you.

Secondly, your "timeline" here is not really correct as shown by Mr. Jeta over there.

Since the 1970's there have been many different ways to cycle tanks. Shrimp, Pure Ammonia and Bacteria Supplements are far off.
Other types like Fish In, Soft Cycles and other methods..

By far rushing it is the worst, (well I mean fish-in is completely irrational.) not to say that Dr. Tims and Spira don't work, because I have used them and they do to an extent. I think the more natural way will lead to more success.
I couldn't agree more. I've personally tried to use the bio Spira and it failed miserably. Didnt have any visibe effect for me.

I think as well take into account what your original post stated... You said this product recommends to dump entire bottle of product in and add fish immediately? No bottle of anything can instantly create a sustaining ecosystem... Now I know that people aren't saying to do that on this thread but why trust a product that recommends something we all know is impossible?

Because it's not impossible. It obviously works well enough for lots of lfs to use it over the years. I know that the wholesalers like Segrest recommend it when a retailer is initially setting up for their first shipment.

It doesn't magically work instantly, but an uncycled tank doesn't kill fish instantly either.

I just think that most people forego this method since it can be hit or miss, it's expensive, and with sw especially it makes more sense just to do it fishless.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom