Bio-wheel bad 4 SW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The bio wheel is in contact with water most of the time, for a second, it comes out into air, allowing. The bacteria that help your tank even better conditions as they need o2 also. I think its pretty nifty and its the best filter I've owned

So I hear the bio wheel can produce nitrate problems...is this true?

I think this assertion comes from the fact that the bio-wheel creates a very aerobic (oxygen rich) area for bacteria to grow on. These bacteria are usually the one responsible for reducing ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. The bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen are typically anaerobic, so that part of the nitrogen cycle doesn;t happen there. it doesn't mean it can't happen somewhere else it the tank nor does it mean you cannot manage nitrate via regular partial water changes IMO.

FWIW I have heard the same thing about bio balls in a wet dry filter. In the end, I figure the nitrate produced is primarily a function of the animals in the aquarium (vs the filter system) and there are just different methods of managing the nitrate load.:popcorn:

Got my filter today and it says the bio wheel is good for creating bacteria(good)& that it eliminates toxic ammonia and nitrite... :)

You're absolutely correct - the wheel will act like a wet/dry and convert it into nitrate, however here is the problem, unlike LR it contains no anaerobics which turn nitrate into gas that escapes the water, so therefore a build up of excess nitrates. JMHO.

Erikmichael23 said:
Got my filter today and it says the bio wheel is good for creating bacteria(good)& that it eliminates toxic ammonia and nitrite... :)

Bio wheels are fine.I ran my 46 gallon Reef with the Penguin HOB filter for 4 years with no problems.the bio balls are the nitrate factories in the other type filters.

Never said to not use it (everyone has their own preferences). I would just keep monitoring nitrates and if no spike you're good to go. Also of course depends on how much LR you have and how much area that get's very minimum flow.

Erikmichael23 said:
What size Penguin filter was it?

Mine was the 350 gallon.You can also save a lot of money by not having to buy the new slide in filters by doing this.When the filter pad needs cleaning and you need new charcoal.Take the existing filter clean the floss part. Then cut along the top edge of the floss where it attaches to the plastic that slides down inside the filter housing.Empty the old charcoal out and replace it with new activated carbon,then use a large rubber band to seal it back up.You can reuse the same filters quite awhile this way.I used the total four filters in mine,I would clean and change the carbon in alternating filters each month.

Back
Top Bottom