bioballs vs live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trena

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just want to know opinions on this subject. I have been told that bioballs do the same thing as live rock and some ppl seem to think that the bioballs with cause a nitrate problem. Please help. Thanks.

Live rock is a biological filter. Bioballs is a biological filter as well so they both break down ammonia into nitrite and then nitrate however bioballs have a major drawback. That is that they trap organics, cause these organics to break down while trapped into nitrate thus the bioball essentially become nitrate factories. This is not a huge problem in a fish only system but it a reef tank it will cause nitrate problems and will effect corals.

Schism is right on with his assessment natural is the best way to go. And has nice visual appeal also.

I agree with the others, bio balls are fine but you need to clean about 25 percent of the balls each water change with old tank water. Need to use salt water so to not kill the beneficial bacteria. In other words it is more work, I use both for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom