Biocube 29 HQI cycling questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mysticxknight

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys and gals. I just started saltwater for the first time. I've never had any aquarist experience before. My biocube has been up and running for exactly 2 weeks with 30lbs of dry rock, 2lbs of LR rubble and 40lbs of live sand. I used the raw shrimp method to cycle but I made mistake of not putting inside a pantyhose (all the articles I read before I started failed to mention and emphasize the importance of doing this). It was a mess (did I mention smelled really bad?) and I cleaned up the tank. My ammonia peaked within a week then nitrite spiked and went down. Yesterday I took out the shrimp and here are my parameters:

pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 1.0 ppm
Nitrate: 40 ppm

My question is since I took out the shrimp, should I provide the bacteria with an alternative source of ammonia i.e. fish food? Or should I wait it out until it's 0 for ammonia and nitrite.

Another question is should I turn on my UV sterilizer?

Lastly, I did my best cleaning the tank and removing the debris from rotten shrimp, there are still small particles left, would a good CUC will be able to take care of this? or I'm stuck with those for good? Thanks for your help in advance!

Back
Top Bottom