BIocube Filteration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warnerg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have just received a 14gallon bio cube from a friend. it has all the parts, but there is no sort of filter pads or anything in it. i know it is a wet sump and many people put a physical filter cloth and then bio balls and then maybe some kind of algae. Would this be ok for coral and fish? i am somewhat knew to saltwater.

I`m not familiar with that tank but maybe you can put some LR rubble in there instead of the bio balls. As far as a macro algea you`ll need some lighting in there to keep it going.

Don't think freshwater when thinking about filtration for saltwater. It's totally different. In fact, freshwater filtration techniques will cause failure in marine tanks.

You don't want to use filter media unless you are cleaning it off every day or more. Just catches detritus. People use live rock in their tanks rather than bioballs. Way more surface area in live rock for beneficial bacteria to grow. A skimmer is essential for long term. However, with your low volume you could prob get away with just water changes for nutrient export. Of course, water changes of this level will contribute to instability of overall system.. Make sure your water change water is consistent from batch to batch and your evaporation water make up is pure. I know it's a lot of info but theres a lot to it.

thanks for the answers. i will have live rock in my tank, but should i also have LR in the sump area? besides filter cloth, what else should i put in my filter sump area?

The more LR the better. It will be more surface area for more nitrifying bacteria.

ok. what about macro algae? will that help. i have seen little 5watt underwater light in the filter area

I know someone who has a 15g nano that is absolutely beautiful. Granted it's sitting on the counter of the LFS she owns, it's still amazing how she has kept it so nice and thriving. Water volume is so small... Her recipe for success is: consistent parameter water changes, chemi-pure, live rock, LED lighting (heat will be an issue with that size tank for sure). Nothing else. No filter cloth etc.

ok. how should i go about setting it up? i will buy RO salt water and cured live rock to start off. i will have about 35watts of light. i plan on corals, snails, and crabs for a while. then eventually add a clown fish and a fire fish (way later). is there a good setting up process besides all this?

I think she also has a little fuge with submersible light as well. I had one on my biocube and the chaeto grew, but also caught detritus. Jury is still out on how effective a little fuge really is... Experiment and use your observation to decide.

I'd suggest reading and using your own judgement in determining what will work for you. Theres a lot of unaudited information out there based on others life experiences. Some good some bad some think it's good but really bad info, etc... A big challenge in this hobby is sorting thru all the info out there and making sense of it all based on your own observations and how the info you read fits into that picture. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom