Birds nest cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamiefisher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I've just bought a massive birds nest coral, it has some algae on it, how do I clean it up?

Just try a turkey baster to blow it off. If its big enough I would try pulling it off also.

You could snip off any parts that have algae growing on them. The algae is most likely forming on parts of it that have died.

Yeah I thought about snipping it, so once is on there will it kill the coral? Turkey baster, no idea what that is haha

Yeah I thought about snipping it, so once is on there will it kill the coral? Turkey baster, no idea what that is haha

turkey baster is a cookware that is usually used to deliver liquid on turkey.

on a different note, i have a coral with some algae on the frag plug and i can't seen to get rid of the algae since it's all over the place on the plug. if i were to clip some coral off, i would mutilate the entire coral.

It won't kill the whole coral. Birdsnest grow and tend to shade branches underneath which then don't get enough light. This results in those branches dying and have algae grow on them. Just snip off any parts that have algae if you can. The rest of the coral should be fine.

I have used peroxide to clean algae off of my candy cane and hammer coral .
Since then they both have taken off again and doing very well .

Thanks for your help, I'm just waiting for some plugs then in going to cut a few sections to save what's left :)

I have also heard to snip off tips with algae growth because it can spread and kill the coral. We just bought one as well, and a lot of the tips are white. Bleaching = bad; but I'm not sure if this is abnormal because it's such a minimal amount. Could it be new growth? We have only had it for a week. There is a larger spot on the bottom that I assume is there from being shaded. Any insight is appreciated. (Picture will hopefully attach)

If anyone has star polyp fragging advice, I'm open to hearing that too!

Attachments

• image-601980237.jpg
    image-601980237.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 152
The white tips are just new growth so they aren't anything you need to worry about. As for fragging you can just break / cut bits off and glue them to a piece of rock.

fragging GSP is very easy it grows in a mat that can be peeled up and cut like a carpet I use a plastic butter knife to lift the edge and peel it back.

Thanks for the info! I have heard about the peel and cut method, but ours is stuck on the rock like glue. I think we are going to have to break the rock to frag it...

Just take a razorblade to it. Keeping coral like GSP in the sandbed is normally best so it doesn't overwhelm the tank. Even though in the sand it will still try to grow and make it easier to frag.

I'll try the razor blade. That's exactly what I was thinking (about the sand bed). His new home awaits. :)

I love your birds nest, I have the same one but has grow differently to yours :) I thought the white tips was bleaching at first, but found out it was new growth, thank god as as its growing like mad under the razors :D I added a reactor and all the algae has gone, almost over night, and thanks to my yellow tang :D

Jamie, post a picture of your birdsnest. I'd love to see it. What type of reactor did you add for algae, and what type of algae did you have?

Back
Top Bottom