Black sand...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Florida8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had posted some time back when we were selling our home in Florida... we have since relocated and I would like to set up the 10g again. I am starting from scratch other than tank, lights and filteration... I really want to use the black sand and have seen a few types and brands... which is the best one to buy, and what problems, if any could I have using it?

Thanks,
Kimberly

I know Seachem Grey Coast is a problem for sifters since it has sharp edges.
I've also dealt with Tahitian moon sand (I think that was the one) but it was in freshwater. It showed a lot of debris on the surface. My guess it was heavily compacted. Not too sure how marine fish would react.

We used to have a member here who had a black sand (tahitian moon sand) reef. I thought it looked pretty nice. I've only ever used it in freshwater however as well and it did seem to show debris easily but I assume you can get around that with the right detrivores.

While I've never used black sand, I have always heard that it typically shows a lot of "junk" on the surface of the sand over time. From what I am told, lightly vacuuming just the top of the sand gets rid of all the debris...

Your best bet is to stick with an oolitic sand with a small grain size. Your sifters will love you for it.

Yes a friend of mine use to have the black sand and she said it was hard to keep looking clean. I thought it looked nice but she thought otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom