Blue hippo tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bosnianblood69

Aquarium Advice Freak
How long do hippos hide? I bought a naso, hippo and a cleaner shrimp yesterday and the naso has been out and about but the hippo is no where to be seen? Current stock is 2 clowns, pj cardinal, and a yellow tang?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

110 and hes prob around 4ish inches. He comes out of his rock but only swims around it in the back and wont come completely to the front of the glass

My hippo tang hides almost instantly if I come near the tank. They are in my opinion the worst for being skittish. Give him more time and dont be suprised if he stays skittish with people around the tank. I've had mine for 4 years.

My last hippo wasnt skittish at all and i Bought him when he was smaller so its kinda weird

If I'm not mistaken you previously said your tank was 5' x 18" and measures to 150 US gal (110 imp gal). That being said you will still have very serious territorial issues with those large tangs in your small tank.

Rearranging some rock work may reset the territory clock on the yellow tang putting them all on equal ground, perhaps helping out the Hippo Tang.

I guess I was confused with someone else's. What dimensions is your tank?

Its 5 foot across 18 wide and 24 deep

So as i see the tang coming out today i noticed some ich. What do i do? I have a cleaner shrimp in the tank. I know theres no way im going to catch him. Any options?

Not much you can do. Good water parameters will help but the ich is in your tank until you can do a fallow period.

I don't think id be able to do a fallow period because all of the rock there is no way id be able to catch everything without tearing down my whole tank. It only seems to hit my hippos tangs in my tank. this is my second one the first one died from it but he was doing perfect for months and one day just boom. went months before i got a new one and he gets it right away. Would the cleaner shrimp help any? I think thats my only option for now.

I don't think id be able to do a fallow period because all of the rock there is no way id be able to catch everything without tearing down my whole tank. It only seems to hit my hippos tangs in my tank. this is my second one the first one died from it but he was doing perfect for months and one day just boom. went months before i got a new one and he gets it right away. Would the cleaner shrimp help any? I think thats my only option for now.
Cleaner shrimp dont help at all for ich. ich burrows into the flesh so would have to be dug out.

Well then why do people recommend getting a cleaner wrasse and or a cleaner shrimp?

Living with ich is possible don't believe the hype. Keep your water on point and there's no worry as it won't get out of hand.

So just regular water changes?

It depends, since you've already lost a fish to ich it leads me to believe that there are issues with your stocking. You have to keep nitrates as close to 0 as possible and rehome any aggressive trouble fish.
Living with ich is possible don't believe the hype. Keep your water on point and there's no worry as it won't get out of hand.
Thats true, water parameters will help. But a stress free environment is just as important.

Well the other ich lost was atleast 6 months ago

Back
Top Bottom