Blue Hippo Tangs in a 90G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bloomk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 90G and i really want a Blue Hippo Tang... I heard they need a larger tank cause they get big? how long do they take to get to big for a 90g? Is it possible to get one and keep it till it gets a specific siz then trade him for another small one (rinse and repeat)?

They are recommended for a 6' tank. The 90 is only 4' if I remember. They need to swim and 125g is recommended.

Catching and trading that fish subjects him to a lot of stress. You don't wann stress a hippo, as I belive they are ick magnets anyway.

Look at Kole Tangs for smaller tanks.

seriously? so i just invested almost $700 in this 90 gallon just to find out the tank is not big enough for the one fish i wanted most? Almost makes me want to sell it all and quit... this sucks..

Don't quit! There are tons of beautiful fish out there you can put in a 90g! Trust me your money is well spent

now i'm reading my tank is to small for yellow tangs as well.. These are the fish i wanted..

Bloomk said:
seriously? so i just invested almost $700 in this 90 gallon just to find out the tank is not big enough for the one fish i wanted most? Almost makes me want to sell it all and quit... this sucks..

Ya this hobby can be very discouraging at times but imo I wouldn't give up either settle for a smaller tang or upgrade to a bigger tank... id almost guarantee when everything Sed and done and u have a finished tank ull look back and ask urself how u could even think of quitting lol sorry for the disappointment though : /

my hole goal was bright vivid colors.. not to mention i have 5 kids who all want nemo, dory, and the whole crew.. i realize that even if my tank was big enough it would take a while to do all this, but i just knocked 2 of the main attractions off the list.. Is the yellow tang hardier? could i keep them for a year or 2 then give them away?

IMO you could do the yellow eyed Kole or a yellow tang. Those and the tangs in the bristle tooth tangs are the only ones I could recommend for a 90 gallon tank.

And as an FYI... the tank in Nemo is impossible to keep as not all the fish are not compatible. And I don't see why you can't have a yellow tang in there.

i can have a yellow tang? Yipee!!!! I like the bright colored fish.. Love clown fish, firefish, tellow tangs are great.. Is there a list (with photos) of reef safe fish that also says how big of a tank they need? I would love that..

And as an FYI... the tank in Nemo is impossible to keep as not all the fish are not compatible. And I don't see why you can't have a yellow tang in there.

huh? Did you mistype something?

Also,it might help to know, I am color blind so that's probably why I like the bright solid color fish (or ones that area few solid colors).

bootz said:
Kole eye tang ftw

I actually dont like those, there are other fish I'd rather have. :) not enough color for my eyes I guess? Sorry, not meaning to offend :)

heres a question, if i plan to get a bigger tank down the road, can i get a hippo tang? I mean, if she is small then she is ok in a 90 right? I guess i want to know why there is a problem, not just "nope, don't do it"

Back
Top Bottom