bought tank that had been up for 3 years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashobson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a corner tank that is 54gal with live sand and 60 lbs of live rock it has one full grown convict blenny around 14" long in it . I kept all the water . I moved it about 40 miles I set it back up and I had an ammonia spike to about 1 it went down to 0 in a bout 1 day. I waited 1 week then added a small puffer and a sally litfoot and 2 brittle stars the ammonia has gone back up to 1 again I thought once the tank had cycled the ammonia would remain at 0 how high can the ammonia go before I lose my fish I don't want to lose any of these guys . The blenny was in it when I got it.

Attachments

• pict0027.jpg
    pict0027.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 131
I am not a SW expert but I would probably try some seachem stability. The bacteria may have suffered with the upheaval and move and what not. Stability will work in both SW and FW. Just follow the directions on the bottle for 7 days and everything should settle. I know not everyone buys into these additives but I have had a really good experience using this specific product.

Good Luck :morning:

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
You most likely had some die off in the LS and on the LR. This will cause your ammonia to spike and the tank to experience a mini-cycle. Water changes and a low bioload are the best wasys to get things back on track. Is there a LFS that can hold the livestock for you for a couple of weeks while your tank re-cycles? Water changes will help keep the ammonia at lower levels So it will not be as hard on your livestock, but you will be in a constant battle with water parameters. With fishin the tank, it will very hard for the depleted biological filtration to "catch up" with the bioload demand. I would not waste money on products like Stability, Bio-Spira or Prime, it will just take time for things to redevelope and you can not buy that in a botlle. Good luck! Lando

Was the UGF pre-existing or was that your addition? If pre-existing was the plate removed and cleaned or all "as is"?

Cheers
Steve

ugf

I added the ugf I have a 29 gal with crushed coral and 2 power heads and a skelter 400 with skimmer built into it I have never had any problem with this tank it has 5 fish a grab long tincal anomie feather duster coral banded shrimp in it and it is doing great everything in it has been in there for 2 years exept the coral it is a tree frag and mushroom they have been in there for about 2 months and are getting biger so I tryied to copy this set up on the 54 but the sand went through the filter plates and I don't think it is doing me anygood. is there any tested and proven ways to keep sand above plates? I found some of the prime in the stuff that came with it put it in and it test fine right now but I know this is just a bandaid. No local store around I have to drive up to the big city to get stuff 80 miles up the road.

Re: ugf

ashobson said:
is there any tested and proven ways to keep sand above plates?
UGF's have actually proven to fail more than they succeed. The wastes that get trapped beneath them do not get properly broken down and eventually become a problem. That's the reason I was asking, if pre-existing the build up could have been released in the move. Personally I would suggest removing it, not fixing it. When using sand for these kinds of filtration you end up needing to create a plenum. Just as bad as a UGF IMO but it would fix your problem. The move combined with the substrate replacement/change is most likely where your ammonia is stemming from.

I found some of the prime in the stuff that came with it put it in and it test fine right now but I know this is just a bandaid.
Definately a bandaid and could also skew your test results for the next few weeks. Typically showing a false possitive but by the sounds of it you have a decent test kit.

I would at the very least follow what has been suggested on the water changes and if possible transfer the animals that are small enough to the 29 gal. You have both running correct?

Cheers
Steve

Ok

do the sponge filters on the power heads help any maybe I could pull the plastic tubes off and add some sponge to the power heads. just leaving the plates in the sand has fallen through them anyway. I hate to move the rock that convict blenny has tunnels dug out under them I put a pipe in there for it. The blenny stayed in the pipe until after I added the other live stock now It is diging up everything like it did before I got the tank but so far it is just behind the rock in the back where I cant see it from the front. thanks for the help this morning and still now the level is .25 the fish look and act fine maybe it will be a slow low level cycle. Would a canister filter help any along with the skilter it came with and the internal power filter I also added?

Re: Ok

ashobson said:
do the sponge filters on the power heads help any maybe I could pull the plastic tubes off and add some sponge to the power heads.
I wouldn't use the sponge unless there's no other option. If available, a simple grate attachment works better. The main concern with the powerhead intakes is small/weak fish and certain inverts. Otherwise it's not a concern.

just leaving the plates in the sand has fallen through them anyway. I hate to move the rock that convict blenny has tunnels dug out under them I put a pipe in there for it. The blenny stayed in the pipe until after I added the other live stock now It is diging up everything like it did before I got the tank but so far it is just behind the rock in the back where I cant see it from the front.
I would actually suggest waiting until the blenny is clear of the piping once the updraft pipes are removed and plug the holes. It will end up being a place where detritus can accumulate. The plate itself can stay where it is.

Would a canister filter help any along with the skilter it came with and the internal power filter I also added?
Mechanical filtration is not one of my favorite. If anything the filters (without foam/floss) will help with added water flow but I would only use them for carbon or resins which can indirectly be a type of mechanical filtration. Far more beneficial as a chemical filtrant housing IME.

As for the skilter, it won't make much of a dent in a 54 gal tank. Still better than nothing if can put up with the noise. If you get the chance I would upgrade that soon.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom