Brand New 55 gal FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you get a tang, you'll need to remove him as he grows. a 55 is not ideal for them and they will eventually stress out, which will lower their resistance to disease.
also, a mandarin requires a lot of live rock and a quite established tank to survive. unless you can find one that is definitely eating prepared foods, i would skip it, without putting 60 pounds of rock in that tank and waiting for about a year.

Really that's crazy he has like 3 and they don't seemed stressed at all as for the mandarin a year u don't thinks that's a bit too long I'm setting mine to cultivate Copepods everything my friend has I'm building but just a shorter cycle I have my cuc feast g on diatoms right now parameters are all great and yes I plan on having at least 60 lbs LR including a dsb in refugium atleast 5 in

well, how large are the three he has? i'm betting they aren't 6".
i've kept a tang in a 30 gallon breeder, but it was only for a short while, and it was barely 2" when i moved him out.
this isn't opinion i'm giving you about tangs, it's a fact.
the reason i say that about the mandarin is that folks say 1 mandarin to 100 pounds of rock. the idea is, pods can multiply as the mandarin eats, and since there are so many places to do so, it never eats them all.
the less rock you have, the less your chances are to accomplish this. you are going to want to wait as long as possible for the pod population to grow.

unless you buy a mandarin that eats prepared foods- then you can get him as soon as the cycle is over.

btw, a DSB has nothing to do with pod growth.

Well they were maybe 4 or 5 inchs and I was just giving u more insight to my setup I have 40 lbs so far I got prob another 40 to go but I'm just curing it in another tank so I dont spike I really want to start adding fish anticipation is killing lol

i know...and i've done the same things as everyone else in the beginning, and i lost livestock. i'm just trying to help you to not do the same.
after the rock is added, you'll need to wait until the pods populate it. right after the cycle it's going to be a very small amount. i would even consider dumping a bottle of pods in to help them along.

Just added another 20 lbs of live rock the excitement grows with the aquascaping lol

I do I ace a nice clean up crew that's was tearing up the diatoms and finally have 2 true percula clowns but all in my phone wll post updates maybe tomm

Ok another update added one Sally crab,pistol shrimp, pink and blue spotted goby.....as well as two anthias pink and orange pics coming up

:)

Attachments

• IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 93
more

Attachments

• IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0386.jpg
    IMG_0386.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 68
some of the pics came out sideways cause of my camera sorry

havent updated in awile let me know what u think

last one is full tank shot my pink anthia beat my orange anthia up>>>>put in sump but was too late he died a few short hours later then the pink got squished by magnet cleaner in corner by kids trying to help clean the tank>>>> :\ fed his remains to bubble tip who enjoyed him very much ohh well let me know what u think

Attachments

• IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0439.jpg
    IMG_0439.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 80
Naa it was I couldn't find then I went to clean the tank an out from the corner he fell :/

Back
Top Bottom