Brand New :P

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zebbyboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone! This seems like a fantastic form to be at so I decided I would ask for help. This is my first time dealing with a real aquarium, and as a starter I just chose a small good 12 gallon. My questions are what fish would work for this type of tank? And could you also explain the cleaning of tank? Do I have to obtain other organisms such as snails or cleaner fish to keep it tidy since I can not literally clean an aquarium?

And one last think I am a tad confused with the cycling proccess of ammonia and nitrogen :p. I know, this is the main thing that I should know so information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone and have a fantastic day! :)

Hi
You might want to start with a bigger tank. The smaller they are the harder they are
to keep balanced, you must have balance. And once you start you will want to go bigger
I started with a 46 gal for 5 months now I have a 90gal and if and when I can afford it Im going bigger.

First of all Welcome.
Second it sounds as if you need to read up a bit .
What kind of tank is it , is it a JBJ nano cube , or an eclipse ?(elcipse will need to be moded more than the JBJ)
it is not that hard to do a smaller tank but you will need to take some time out once or twice a week to maintain it . It should only take maybe 1/2 hour to an hour weekly and that time may decrese as you learn what you are doing and how to do it .
I would say you could put a small occelaris clown or a perc in that tank , and maybe one goby like a yellow clown goby ,or fire fish .
You will want a CUC that will also help with your cleaning ... A good choice for a CUC would be a skunk cleaner shrimp , 3-4 small hermit crabs (red leg(4) and blue leg(4)) and a few no more than 3-4 nasserious snails ...
as for the cycle :
Ammonia will rise and fall to 0
NitrItes will rise and fall to 0
NitrAtes will rise and fall with your first H20 change
PH 8.2-8.4 Steady you dont want major swings tho there will be some with the cycle of the lighting .
Temp again steady . I run ours at 74*-75.9* cool with fans.
Spg 1.025 for reef .
To get the cycle started you can use your LR aprox 1-1.5 lbs/gal of rock is needed more if you go FOWLR . you can also add an UNseasond deli shrimp into it to help kick start it . Please do NOT cycle with live fish . HTH

Thanks everyone! I think I will start out with freshwater instead now that I understand the cycling better. :)

Back
Top Bottom