Brand of Aquarium Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am going to go against the grain like ReefRunner does as it pertains to IO.

It's ionic balance stinks!! I have gone through about a dozen bags of that stuff and I always get the same results: ALK high and Ca low.

I switched over to Reef Crystals and it is a little better. The Ca is higher but the Alk remains the same. I think I am going to try Tropic Marlin next time. From what I hear, it is more ionically balanced than most.

Biggen said:
It's ionic balance stinks!! I have gone through about a dozen bags of that stuff and I always get the same results: ALK high and Ca low.
Agreed, I have always had great success with Kent.

Cheers
Steve

reefrunner69 said:
Agreed, I have always had great success with Kent.

Believe it or not, I have been reading more and more that Kent is IO in a Kent bag....
True IO does package Kent's saltmix I believe but to Kent spec's. I have never had the same issues when using Kent that I have with IO.

Cheers
Steve

I have gone against all grains this go round, and use Coralife :twisted:

Does switching between salts have any negative affects? I have been using instant ocean, but after seeing the price on a bucket of coral life, I thought about trying that.

Will the change in brands affect the critters at all?
Zero

Well my theory is since you don't do 100% water changes, you would be mixing the new salt in little by little as you do the water changes. The ones I see all claim to have the same minerals.

I am using Kent, BTW. It seems to dissolve well. Instant Ocean is not as available in the UK - at least, I haven't seen it for sale at any of the 5 fish stores I have been to.

There have been some reports of switching from one brand to another causing problems. When I switched from IO to Tropic Marin, I cut the amount I was changing by 1/2 and doubled the frequency for several weeks, then went back to my normal schedule and size water change, I had no problems.

FWIW, price is not necessarily the best way to choose your salt. It naturally plays a factor, but I do believe in the old addage...you get what you pay for.

Back
Top Bottom