breeding pods ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beefandpork

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

Can somebody tell me how to do it right way. I was able to catch a few of these white pods with antenna. I also have brown ones but I'm not sure what are they? I am thinking Brine shrimps cause I threw some eggs inside the tank a while ago. Anyway they are all over the rocks.

I have put a few white large ones in a glass jar with a air bubble what do I do next?

My intention is maybe use it to feed fish, I have thought about a mandarine but I think when school starts I will be too busy for this.
Right now is just for fun.

thanks

Coulb be brine could also be pods. If you do put it in your tank or a tank make sure they have plenty of LR in the tank to hide and breed.

A lot of people make a specific "pod pile" of rock in the corner of their tank or in their sump. You can initially inject the pile with live copepods or whatever you choose. I have also heard of people injecting the pile weekly with phyto and cyclo-peeze to keep the colony established. Whatever you do, like mike said, have lots of tight LR piles and they will multiply like crazy.

A pod pile is the way to go. As long as fish, starfish, etc. can't get in there the pods will breed. You used to be able to get 35mm film cannisters, drill a ¼" hole in the top, drop some food in and let them breed in there. Good luck finding 35mm film these days <g>

I imagine the same principle would apply to almost and of the same setup. chop off the bottom of a solo cup, water bottle, or similar. These options are probably best done in a sump since they aren't very visual appeasing.

or like cmor said:
Film Canister 35mm - Arbor Scientific Online!

Costs you more to ship one then its worth, but you could probably order a bunch and find some use for them.

The idea of the film cannister is that it is light tight. Throw some sand or rubble in the bottom and position it upright. The pods will breed inside and gravitate to the light and out the top. At least that was the theory that I read several years ago.

Back
Top Bottom