Bristle worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiaxchick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 125litre tank, been running for around 2 years, has gravel rather than sand.. I've started to notice a rise in bristle worms .. There's tiny little hard swirly stick looking things on all my rocks and around my power head, we've always seen a few here and there and it hasn't bothered me but when I cleaned out the filter last there was loads of tiny worms in there, every time I move something in tank there is a worm underneath it.
Is there anything I can do to stop these pests from breeding and taking over my tank they creep me out .. -.-

Yes, cut back on feeding. The amount of worms (harmless scavengers) will rise and fall with the available food supply.
How often and how much are you feeding?

Feeding once a day... Half a ice cube of mixed marine food.. The last few weeks I haven't been even using half just putting a little in with a Turkey Baster and monitoring what they actually eat of it.
I didn't know wether it was something to do with my gravel as I imagine there must be a lot of food source amongst there

I have been feeding a tank I maintain twice a week for years now and the fish are fat and happy. Also, how is your flow in the tank? Perhaps more food falls to the bottom than is eaten?

Recently I used to have a little pump for extra water flow but recently bought a wave maker so it does have a better current now and you can really notice the difference as the food goes in so I think that should help a lot.
How often do you feed your fish ?

I was debating taking the gravel out.. Just having glass bottom

The worms are not bad, they are good actually. People spend big money on "clean up crews" for their tanks when they have a free clean up crew already. I wouldn't worry about them as they are a natural part of the reef. the balance of worms V.S. available food is what I would focus on. If a lot of food is hitting the sand, an increase of flow is the remedy. Let the worms eat what's in the sand now, and they should lessen over time.

Sorry just seen this, thank you have started feeding them a little less now hopefully that'll calm them down a bit

Back
Top Bottom