Brought some sand back from beach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00bolt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i dont even have a tank or really and for sure plans yet, but plan to within the next couple weeks get going on my first SW tank. Last week the wife and kids and I went down to Destin Florida and I brought back about 5 gallons (filled up 1 gallon water jugs) of the white sand there.

will this be good sand for the bottom of my tank? I got it for more sentimental reasons thinking it would be cool to remember our vacation... but curious if its a good idea or should I get some Live Sand when time comes?

The main problem that comes to mind is the fact that there may be pollutants in the sand that you dont want in your tank. There is no way to know for sure and it is a pretty big risk.

I say give it ago if your not in any rush for fish, or better yet if you have small tank around set it up put the sand in there and let it cycle for about 1 month and then test your waters for eveything possible if you get good readings add a hearty fish and see how he goes... if he dies (we all cross our fingers for no death) after the water has tested perfect then DONT use the sand, other wise i would say you are good to go.

also if you are going to use it, wash small amounts of the sand in water, change the water and wash again do this until the water is almost clear, this will also get rid of some unwated dirt.

I say give it ago if your not in any rush for fish, or better yet if you have small tank around set it up put the sand in there and let it cycle for about 1 month and then test your waters for eveything possible if you get good readings add a hearty fish and see how he goes... if he dies (we all cross our fingers for no death) after the water has tested perfect then DONT use the sand, other wise i would say you are good to go.
I disagree. This is no time to "experiment". There is a good possibility that the sand you collected will contain pollutants. While in the ocean or on a large beach it may not be a problem, in a small home aquarium it can spell disaster.

And there's probably no SW test kit that will show things like gasoline, oils, and other nasty stuff that can wash up on the beach and get sun dried. But your livestock will be affected by it for sure.

2revup said:
(we all cross our fingers for no death)

I for one dont believe in luck,even though I say good Luck at the end of my post sometimes. But I do believe in better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom