Brown algae on live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DTack2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have my tank cycled, was about to add some cleaners and all of a sudden I have a brown algae growing everywhere and growing fast. My live rock is now brown. Brown spots are forming in the glass. It was like over night and wham. Is this good or bad and if bad how do I stop it? Tank has been up and running about a month.

Attachments

• image-912717941.jpg
    image-912717941.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 128
first off dont freak out, its normal, theyre probably diatoms and its a good sign, normally meaning your tank is now "live" and the cycle is nearing the end and your tank is just coming to life, once you add snails they will take care of it dont worry, and about the glass you can get a magfloat and clean it, it comes right off, and it also might be that your leaving your lights on too long, how many hours do you have them on and what type of lights are you using? power rating? single? dual? etc.

I agree with bigtex. Definitely diatoms, signaling the cycle ending. They will go away on their own over time as they use up available silicates in the tank. Cleaners will eat them as well but if left alone it goes away in a couple weeks.

I appreciate your help.... I did not want to add anything to the tank till I was sure. I have added a six stripe wrasse and arrow crab to start cleaning up some of the brittle worms and vemited snails I have on my live rock. it is just nice to see something I bought in the tank. it has been running for over a month now with nothing in it but live rock and critters in/on the live rock.

for lights I have T5, six bulbs, three blue three white. with six leds for night time. I have it programmed for twilight to come on at 0730 till 1000, from 1000-1700 I have the midday lighting on, the 1700-1900 twilight again then moonlight LEDs from 1900-0730. is that good or bad?

36" 234w 6x39 fluorescent actinic T5 HO Light

Yea I just started a new 90 gal an have the same thing but mines terrible

Attachments

• image-1936836122.jpg
    image-1936836122.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 101
Back
Top Bottom