Brown hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D.Schneidt

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a ten gallon nano and I keep getting this brown algae on the sand and its starting to be on the rocks a little too now. I'm calling it algae because I'm new to saltwater and not really sure what it is exactly?

That's cynobacteria use a gravel vac and suck it up when u PC it will cover everything just part of the cycle

Cut back on your feeding Cyano is caused be an excess of nutrients. It tends to grow in low flow areas

I'm not sure it's considered a normal part of the cycle. It's caused by excess nutrients and you have to do something to stop it from coming back. Reduce feeding and/or light schedule will help. What do you do for nitrate control? Other than pwc that is.

I'm not sure it's considered a normal part of the cycle. It's caused by excess nutrients and you have to do something to stop it from coming back. Reduce feeding and/or light schedule will help. What do you do for nitrate control? Other than pwc that is.

Honestly not too much as far as control goes. I'm new at this. How often should I feed? I do it twice a day now and what should I do for the light schedule be?

I feed once a day. my light cycle is blue on at 1 pm white on at 1:45 off a 9 pm blue off a 9:45

So your saying you have never had cyno? Cause I sure did with no fish and good flow

Nope. Only on my second tank, but never a hint of cyano. Nitrates are at 0 and phosphates are normally at 0 as well.

I just started to get this in my 20g nano. Cycle has finished and I have not added fish yet. I buy saltwater and ro water from my local saltwater store. No sump here either

Back
Top Bottom