Brown slime in my aquaclear refuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dale

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I have a refuge that I made out of a aquaclear 70 filter. I have live rock rubble and cheato in it. I'm also using a 65w Argo bulb which is on for 14 hours a day. I have brown slime going thru the cheato and all over the refuge. Can someone pls tell me what is the matter. Thanks.

No offense, but there's no need to create the same thread in 3 different sections, makes the board rather messy.

I`ve already moved the other two to duplicate post. I left this one open on the boards.

Your other posts were moved, please only post your question once, we will find it.

Sounds like you are having cyanobacteria problems, which are common in refuges with high nutrients and low flow. I don't believe there is much you can do for it, just manual removal when you see it.

As I said in one of the other reply's, low flow might be an issue as is the light cycle. How long has the fuge been up and running?

it's been running for 4 weeks. it's a aquaclear filter so i can't change the flow. The brown slime really doesn't look like the picture.

I take it you have a custom baffle inserted? If so, you can drill slots to allow water flow to penetrate, but just depends on how the fuge is rigged.

I was thinking since it was brown maybe it was dino but maybe it is cyano as Lindsay said. And if it is then James suggestion about low flow would be one of the causes.

I used the bottem piece of the filter basket and siliconed it on the front so that water will flow thru it but the macro won't. Sshouldn't I lessen how long the light is on?

Many people will leave the lights on 24/7, but if it creates an algae problem you can use a reverse cycle of your tank lights, which will also help keep pH from dropping at night or whenever the main lights are off.

I agree with James that if you do cut them off have them off when your main is on and vice versa. I keep mine on 24/7 because of the grape calerpa.

Back
Top Bottom