bubble tip advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billberet

Aquarium Advice Freak
my tank is cycled, has been for 4 months and i finally put fish in. 2 baby clowns and a bubble tip anemone.
Anyone have any advice on keeping anemone's?
i have high flow in my 20 gal, 2 circulators and the refugium.
coralife 65 skimmer and tons of LR.

he crawled into a cave and just hanging out.
60421-albums10168-picture49199.jpg

here are the 2 clowns, they were darting in the anemone in the beginning, but now are just swimming around
60421-albums10168-picture49200.jpg

Anemones live off of the light provided. What kind of lighting do you have? I wouldn't try to keep an anemone under less than 4 bulb t5ho.

Clowns don't need an anemone to live, and vice versa.

that's one thing i did not cheap out on, i got a nice light hood.
i have the schedule for sunrise at 6am, full light at 8am, 6pm sunset.
one good thing is it's only a 20 gal tank, so ALL the light makes it to the bottom. it's the brightest tank in my wall.

Deep Blue Solar Extreme T5
Highpower Quad Light System
Deep Blue Solar Xtreme Light Systems includes: (2) 10K Daylight Lamps, (2) Actinic-03 Lamps, Nightime LED's

your light should be ok for your nem. just make sure your bulbs are good and when they start to go replace them quicly. when the bulbs go bad the kalvin rating drops and the par goes down as well. also keep your parameters in check and feed him and he should thrive.
good luck

what is the best way to feed an anemone, i do a google search and there are 100's of ways. How do you feed yours. I think my anemone found his spot, he hasn't moved in 2 days. but he's in a cave, will he get enough light there?
here is how he looked at 8am this morning
60421-albums10168-picture49273.jpg

Well I dont have mine anymore. I sold him with my clowns and my other livestock from my 46 gallon tank in order to build my my 60 cube. But when I had him I would target feed him some frozen krill and silversides like once maybe twice a week. If your clowns host him they will also help in feeding him. But light and good stable water parameters are what they mostly live on.

To me it looks like he's hiding from somthing. Maybe the light is to bright or he just needs more time to adjust to the tank. Give him a couple days and see what happens.

Here's a pic of mine from a while ago I don't have any better ones sorry.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130117_121137.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130117_121137.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 137
it's been 5 days, here is the anemone, still same place. i tried to spot feed him some shrimp but wanted no part of it. i'll try again in a day or two. the clowns eat everything in site so i know they are doing fine.

60421-albums10168-picture49631.jpg

Well I dont have mine anymore. I sold him with my clowns and my other livestock from my 46 gallon tank in order to build my my 60 cube. But when I had him I would target feed him some frozen krill and silversides like once maybe twice a week. If your clowns host him they will also help in feeding him. But light and good stable water parameters are what they mostly live on.

To me it looks like he's hiding from somthing. Maybe the light is to bright or he just needs more time to adjust to the tank. Give him a couple days and see what happens.

Here's a pic of mine from a while ago I don't have any better ones sorry.
your clown looks great, so does the anemone, i hope to have mine out like that. but at this point i just want him to live, i don't care that he's in a rock if that's his preference.

Thanks. Your nem and clown look awesome as well. I would let him be and see if he starts coming out more. Does your clown host him?

funny, when i first put the BTA in the tank, before it was even out of the plastic bag, the clown was darting in and out of it. after that, he never touched it again. i know the 'nemo' clown it not known for hosting a BTA, but it does happen from time to time. i was thinking of adding another BTA and a tomato clown. your thoughts? i know clowns are known to fight, so i don't know if i should add another pair.

here is the chem test as of today, looks like 0's across the board.
what was your PH when you had your anemene?

Attachments

• chem test.jpg
    chem test.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 116
Nems will move till they find a happy place and it seems yours has found it. I have a Condy nem and I never feed it I just rely on the water colum and light. My clowns are tank raised so they have never gone near it even though most clowns won't host condys. I would advice against a third clown just asking for trouble. :)

Nems will move till they find a happy place and it seems yours has found it. I have a Condy nem and I never feed it I just rely on the water colum and light. My clowns are tank raised so they have never gone near it even though most clowns won't host condys. I would advice against a third clown just asking for trouble. :)

yea i was thinking the same thing, i could get another small fish other than a clown that will host the BTA instead. i also am going to get another BTA and put it on the other side of the tank. Maybe i'll get lucky and the clowns will host that one. My chems are good so i am not worried about adding another in a few weeks after my tank catches up with the current stock.
which in this case is just the BTA and 2 clowns.

There isn't any other fish besides clownfish that go near anemones. If the ones you have were interested in this green bta, chances are they will pair up with it eventually.
I think the anemone is getting used to the tank as well. In the last picture it seems as though it's starting to come out in the open a bit.

There isn't any other fish besides clownfish that go near anemones. If the ones you have were interested in this green bta, chances are they will pair up with it eventually.
I think the anemone is getting used to the tank as well. In the last picture it seems as though it's starting to come out in the open a bit.

can multiple pairs of clows live in the same tank without bothering each other?
i could get a pair of tomato's. but if they will be attacked by the ocellaris's then i won't.

It's hard to say. I was always told no, but I've seen a person here and there that pulled it off.
I would definitely not try it in a 20 gallon. I would sit tight and see how they adjust. You might be pleasantly surprised.

tru, i think i'll just sit tight. maybe i'll add another BTA, and just let him find his spot too, I might get lucky and he will find a spot up front, instead of in a cave, lol.

simple numbers, the more BTA's i have, the more chance the clowns will host one.

i need some more advice on my BTA. i tried spot feeding him today. and he stung himself and shrivled up. i did a light spot feeding out of an air tube. the tiny crustations gently fell on him and the BTA was upset i guess.
i feed him Piscine Energetics PE Mysis + Cyclop-eeze

60421-albums10168-picture50019.jpg

Anemones can't sting themselves. That green BTA seems like it's losing color. It's not going to eat cyclo-peeze. They are too small.
Was the mysis still somewhat frozen? If they were, the cold temp might have stressed the anemone. I've done that before-put a partially thawed piece of fish on an anemone's tentacle, and it did not like it.

Anemones can't sting themselves. That green BTA seems like it's losing color. It's not going to eat cyclo-peeze. They are too small.
Was the mysis still somewhat frozen? If they were, the cold temp might have stressed the anemone. I've done that before-put a partially thawed piece of fish on an anemone's tentacle, and it did not like it.

AHHHH, you know that might be tru, it was thawing for 10 minutes, maybe it was a bit too cold, next time i will swap out the water a few more times to bring up the temp. as for it's color, it's been this same way since i got him, i checked the chems and i have 0 nitrite, 0 amonia, 0 nitrate.
i am starting to get a diatom bloom as well, i'm sure it's cause of the feeding. i've only fed the fish 2x a week with a very small amount.

i will continue to keep a close eye on them. The clowns in the tank are doing great, eating everything and playing with each other.

My son and I used a small terra-cotta pot from the craft store. Put it where we wanted the anemone, put the little critter in there and he LOVES it. Has not moved, only grown. He stretches out and looks awesome. Can't figure out how to post a pic but it is definitely what we are doing in the 125 we are putting together.

Back
Top Bottom