building a 36 gallon bow front first time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris86

Aquarium Advice Regular
Looking to build first reef tank

Like the title says this is my first saltwater build. I have a chance to get a new aqueon 36 gallon deluxe bow front aquarium kit that comes with:

• Bow Front Glass Aquarium (36 gallons)
  • Quiet Flow 30 Power Filter for crystal-clear water (Large filter cartridge included)
  • Deluxe Full Fluorescent Hood (Full-spectrum lamp included)
  • Submersible Heater (200 watt, accurate +/– 1° F)
  • Set-up & Care Guide
  • Premium Fish Food with all-natural ingredients
  • Water Conditioner (Makes tap water safe for fish)
  • the guy also has some sort of day/night led light to replace the fluorescent
The aquarium kit is for freshwater so i know most or all of this stuff will not work but if any of it will what would work for a saltwater tank? It would be going in an apt so not alot of room so is there a way to do a 36 gallon reef with out a sump tank. This is all new to me been looking into going to saltwater for a long time but with bigger tanks but with being in an apt right now I'm stuck to a smaller tank. Pretty much I'm looking for a build list for a 36 bow front tank

Last edited:
Pretty much the tank an heater are it if you want torun corals. If just fish then the lights don't mater.

Salt
Test kits
Refractometer
Power heads for flow.

On a 36 gallon you don't need a sump or protein skimmer especially for fish only. If you want corals then there are hang on back protein skimmer. But doing regular water changes will help.

Then live rock and live sand are your filters.

Also you won't want to use tap water so an Ro/di system is advised as well

That was me a year ago. Was thinking FOWLR but the coral collection started growing almost immediately. We've had great luck with an upgrade kit for that hood light - check ahsupply.com 55W strip light kit. Just don't plan on any serious SPS keeping. I'm always on the hunt now for another light upgrade, so you may want to skip intermediate steps. There's not much room in the tank for an overflow box, but I wish I'd drilled mine and gotten a sump from the start (check gl*******s.com). So you see - you can start simple and upgrade over time, at a pace the budget allows, or skip ahead from the start.
Bulk Reef Supply has some great video series' on the equipment progression from 'starter' tank up to a more serious set up.
Also, 36G is not an 'easy' size - small tanks are less stable than larger ones. But it is a cheaper place to start for sure.

- D

Well picked it up tonight its going be a slow build but am going try setting up a small reef tank what watt of light is the best to be able to grow any kinda coral i seen something about 192watts the tank it 30 L x 15 W x 21 h

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 250
I have been looking at diy hob skimmers is there a way to make it sit behind the tank instead of hanging on the back. Should i look at making just a skimmer or a Refugium and skimmer. My plan is to make as much as i can diy. I think doing it all diy is the best way to learn everything and I like the challenge.

I am going try to keep updates on here of my progress. Any suggestions and comments are welcome.

Back
Top Bottom