Building a Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wwidener

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm considering building my next sump/tank. I see 1/2" acrylic at Home Depot and online at places like One Source LLC and wonder if this clear acrylic (plexiglass) is the same kind as used in aquariums. Is it?

Home Depot carries two types of clear plastic sheeting - acrylic and polycarbonate.never worked with poly, I'm pretty sure the acrylic in HD is extruded. Aquariums are usually built from cast sheets not extruded. But I wouldn't hesitate using HD acrylic for something like a sump. Since it's usually hidden and does not have to look very presentable the flexible sheeting can be sufficiently reinforced with something.

I believe what HD lowes sells is not the same or of 'good enough' quality.
The acrylic[not plexi glass] sumps are made from 'cast acrylic' I believe.
I would use an aquarium from the DPG and make or buy the add ons . Silicone does not adhere to acrylic or plexi glass so you need to buy the proper adhesive if use acrylic.
I have made many sumps and they are easy..
Acrylic to acrylic is Weldon #4 or #16
Go glass and just use GE #1 silicone.
If you can cut glass just get an extra [20g for $20] tank at DPG and harvest the pieces.. That is the absolute cheapest way to build quality.

I believe what HD lowes sells is not the same or of 'good enough' quality.
The acrylic[not plexi glass] sumps are made from 'cast acrylic' I believe.
I would use an aquarium from the DPG and make or buy the add ons . Silicone does not adhere to acrylic or plexi glass so you need to buy the proper adhesive if use acrylic.
I have made many sumps and they are easy..
Acrylic to acrylic is Weldon #4 or #16
Go glass and just use GE #1 silicone.
If you can cut glass just get an extra [20g for $20] tank at DPG and harvest the pieces.. That is the absolute cheapest way to build quality.
DPG = Dollar per Gallon??

DPG is every 3 months.. On now so again from last week of Dec. until 3rd week in January.
Petco and Petsplus I think also..

Back
Top Bottom