Building a sump/refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok thx I'll definetally take that into consideration. I just got my glass today. Hopefully I'll have time Friday to start it.

I took your advice gave the intake and return 1/2" more room. My skimmer will just fit and now I have 8" on my return.

Attachments

• image-2709512259.jpg
    image-2709512259.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 198
I'm not really the silicon set up rather quickly so I was able to move rite along. I've done so much research in the last month on these **** sumps I felt like I knew what I was doin whipping it out so fast. I only worked on it last night for a couple of hours. Tonight I will do the one last panel touch up any spots and then let it sit for a good 24 hrs then leak test it and install

I'm building mine right now and have had to restart 2 times because of leaks. I'm trying to get glass and acrylic to bond with silicone. It's a 10 gallon sump. This third time I'm taking it really slow and have already had to reveal one of the dividers. Any tips on doing this. Also how can I get dried silicone of the sides of the tank?

First off your not going to get a permanent seal with using acrylic dividers. I used 1/4 glass and mine came out first shot. Now it will work for awhile but eventually it will leak. There is special silicon the sticks but it ain't marine safe. I aqueon silicon $18 for a big tube. You will have to get ahold of a local glass shop to get the glass. HD and Lowe's don't carry it.

Here's an update on mine I just finished the baffles earlier and now I'm building my snail guards

Attachments

• image-1824911768.jpg
    image-1824911768.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 85
Thartsockpg said:
I'm building mine right now and have had to restart 2 times because of leaks. I'm trying to get glass and acrylic to bond with silicone. It's a 10 gallon sump. This third time I'm taking it really slow and have already had to reveal one of the dividers. Any tips on doing this. Also how can I get dried silicone of the sides of the tank?

Have you tried a clean razor blade?

You'll need to ruff'n the edges of the acrylic to get the silicone to stick
Steve Thats a darn nice looking sump, are you sure it's your 1st build lol

Yes it is! I'm a custom fabricator by trade so I got a good mind on how stuff works and how to customize stuff. I'm glad everyone likes it TY lets just hope it passes the leak test tonight

Running the sump with a maxi jet 1200 for trial run

Attachments

• image-2663605539.jpg
    image-2663605539.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 93
  • image-327291285.jpg
    image-327291285.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 98
  • image-1735029462.jpg
    image-1735029462.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 98
  • image-1565449103.jpg
    image-1565449103.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 104
I have a Question , you see how you made your sump out of a 20 or 10g tank, im goin to do that and what else you need for it ? I just put a protein skimmer and my heaters n lr n sand in there wht else?

Back
Top Bottom